Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cuban Silver Pesos - 1953 And Earlier

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,745Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few quick questions guys/gals, let me preface this by stating I sell some coins on occasion via eBay, but mostly sell antiques(beer steins, maps, Edison phonographs, stained glass, slag lamps, ect).

When I first started selling 2+ years ago, I was fairly successful selling Cuban silver pesos(star, Marti + occasional ABC). That is until eBay went full on idiotically paranoid and told me that the coins fall under the embargo. I pointed out how stupid they were, considering the coins predated the Castro regime, all were minted in the US(Philadelphia) and the star coins were even the work of US Chief engraver Charles Barber. They said their approach was absolute(excluding art works by Cubans even if originating from Cuba IIRC) and told to take it up with corporate. Which yielded nothing, other than (paraphrasing) "that is our policy obey or pound sand".

Question 1) If I have a number of Star + Marti pesos (maybe 10 or so ABCs too), most probably grading somewhere between VF to UNC, where should I consider selling them?

Question 2) coins.ha.com sells Pre-Castro Cuban coins fairly regularly, so this policy by eBay and PayPal must be specific to those platforms and not resultant from the embargo - yes or no?

Question 3) What should I ask or expect to receive for the coins? In particular, I have a 100+ Marti Pesos, all between VF and UNC, what would be fair prices across those grades on a per coin basis?

Thanks in advance!
Edited by MasterKromm
12/18/2019 1:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't need the money, IMHO, you should keep them. I believe ebay's policy is, to some extent, suppressing prices.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ beem - I appreciate the response! Yeah, I have plenty of staying power, just figured I would sell some if I could find a decent platform to do so...

Bit of a tangent here, but I have a relative in Spain who has 250+ VF - Unc 1953 Marti pesos that he would like to sell to me. What would be a fair price in Euros per coin? Especially when considering I may need to hold onto the coins for some time?
Edited by MasterKromm
12/19/2019 10:39 am
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormyCatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cuban coins are an interesting case with pricing given the ebay situation. On one hand I can see why the ban would keep prices down given the lowered demand, but having kept an eye on the odd coin that shows up on ebay, those auction prices usually seem quite inflated, perhaps due to the difficulty of trade. In short I don't know what to make of it :(
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought a few Cuba Star Pesos from eBay; generally sellers just list them under Caribbean. People will know what it is, no need to put Cuba in the title.

I don't think eBay actively pulls listings for them either, though do correct me if I'm wrong.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ mkman123

Sorry for the noob question, but how would I open/enable private messaging?

@ doges

I can attest to ebay's zeal in actively policing for Cuban coins. They will pull your Cuban coin listing(s) and give you a warning, multiple attempts to get around their enforcement mechanism(their system seems to be sensitive to keywords like Caribbean, Star Peso, ABC, Patria, Libertad, ect) in a short period of time will get you a temporary ban and ultimately a permanent ban. About 18 months back I had a temporary 1 day ban where I could not list any new listings. I was told that any attempts to list Cuban coins again would result in a longer or even permanent ban from their platform. I even know of a seller based in Spain that was permanently banned from the eBay platform for repeatedly violating their policy regarding listing Cuban coins.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question 2) coins.ha.com sells Pre-Castro Cuban coins fairly regularly, so this policy by eBay and PayPal must be specific to those platforms and not resultant from the embargo - yes or no?

It's just a legal decision they made to protect themselves. Instead of putting time and effort into sorting what is and isn't legal and being potentially liable if they mess up they just ban it all.

Quote:
I don't think eBay actively pulls listings for them either, though do correct me if I'm wrong.

If they become aware of them they do.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ MasterKromm

Wow, I'm surprised. If only they put the same amount of care and effort into getting counterfeits off their platform, bahahah.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Lancek

I figured this out just the other day... It is not a private messaging system per se, rather you have to allow forum members to send you emails. To enable email from other forum members: 1) At the top of the webpage next to the "Home" hyperlink you will find the "Tools" hyperlink. 2) Click tools. 3) From there select "manage your profile". 4) From there under the "Contact Information section" you have an option to "Allow Forum Members to Send you E-Mail?" select yes and you can now receive emails from members.

@ doges

It has been a while since I tried to sneak a Cuban coin through, so to test their new system I listed an ABC peso. eBay spotted the listing and removed it less than 24 hours into it's duration... Though I did get an interesting message from eBay, which seems new/different from the last time they took umbrage with my Cuban coin listings 18 months back... Here is their message in full:

We had to remove your listing because it didn't follow our Embargoed goods policy. Goods from embargoed countries aren't allowed.
What activity didn't follow the policy

You have listed an item from Cuba, which is a country that is currently subject to embargoes by the US Government. These types of items from Cuba cannot be listed on eBay. Please do not relist this item and make the necessary changes to your listing software.
What you need to do next

You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy

- Sellers can't list embargoed goods or pre-embargoed goods from these countries or regions:
-- Cuba
-- Crimea region of Ukraine (as defined under applicable sanctions)
-- Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)
-- Iran
-- Syria
- Organizations, businesses, or individuals based in or from the countries listed above, or those on the United States' Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs) list can't register accounts on eBay
How this affects your account

Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

- Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended.

We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s).

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended. In addition, there will be a temporary 3-day restriction placed on your account, and your other listings will be hidden from search during this period. All fees paid or payable for listings that are ended and/or hidden from search will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Why we have this policy

This policy helps ensure that important government regulations are followed.

More information and help

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...licy?id=4323
Listings not following policy

Peso A.B.C. 1936 West Caribbean Republic Silver Crown Coin

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

""
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah figured I'd upload some pictures of the 3 different peso types I have.

Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that even if you can sneak it past eBay there is paypal too and they have been known to completely ban accounts if they find out. Great Collections seems to be the best option online for a range of values with Cuban coins when they have them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4888 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe ebay's policy is, to some extent, suppressing prices.

If eBay's policy is suppressing supply of these coins, wouldn't prices be inflated rather than suppressed?

I noticed that in addition to Heritage, there is a large amount of Cuban material in the upcoming Steven Album auction.
Could be interesting to follow that auction to get a feel for current pricing.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@basebal21

Thanks for dropping the name "Great Collections" I had never heard of them, will definitely check em out.

@tdziemia

I agree, you would think instead of price suppression you would see inflation. That said, 2 or so years back before eBay went full Gestapo on Cuban coins and back when I first started selling on eBay, I was selling Cuban pesos for more money then than what I have seen the few Cuban Pesos which somehow get past eBay's ban today sell for... I was pumped because on XF+/- coins I had an average sale price of $65 a piece for the 1932 - 1934 star pesos. The 1915 + 1916s sold for even more ~$80 and ABCs were ~$120 avg.

----- Bit off topic, but is there a gold coin thread for World coins in this forum? I will share a few pics of various coins I have collected. Gold world coins are a bigger part of my current collecting...
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for dropping the name "Great Collections" I had never heard of them, will definitely check em out.

They don't always have some, but they do get some Cuban/Iran etc material in various price ranges that you wouldn't find on Heritage and such. Definitely a good place to keep an eye on

I did actually just check and they have a few Cuban things ending this week and next
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Collections generally wants graded coins. But they will submit them to a grading company for you and charge you their discounted rate. They have arrangements with PCGS NGC and ANACS. I Have bought Cuban coins off of Proxibid. No one seemed to care there. But with Proxibid you don't go through them to sell coins. They only host the auctions. You would have to find an auctioneer who seems trust worthy, then contact them directly to consign.

Maybe someday I will have a high enough post count and have been on here long enough that I can actually link to your email, or you can to mine. I wish they had an actual PM system here like they do on NGC's chat board.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia

Quote:
If eBay's policy is suppressing supply of these coins, wouldn't prices be inflated rather than suppressed?

Ebay's policy is not suppressing supply. It is suppressing the ability to sell. If a dealer cannot sell an item on ebay the dealer will buy the item for less money than he otherwise would.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,745Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05