Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Exchange Bank Rolls For More Bank Rolls?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Let's say you go to a bank and grab a ten rolls of cents. You look through them, find nothing, and put them back into the rolls, or new rolls. Can you go to the bank, give them back the rolls, and ask for more rolls? So in return you would give back the 10 rolls of cents, and ask for another 10 rolls of cents?

Will banks allow this? I know it depends on the person you're talking to and which bank you are going to but just based on experience, will the employees do this for you?
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forest Gump

Best and First DDO I've Found in the Wild: http://goccf.com/t/364885

Best Error & Varieties Coin I Own: http://goccf.com/t/363534
Learn More...
United States
14879 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just based on experience, will the employees do this for you?

When I was CRHing several years ago, I think that the answer was no, although perhaps that was just my etiquette. I had one bank for getting cents and another for dumping them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2690 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pick-up my boxes at one branch...re-roll in same wrappers and deposit rolls to 4 different branches. I keep my quarters deposits to 70 or 80 dollars per branch, that way not to p___ off the tellers. Cents I just drop in Coinstar and get Amazon gift card
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, both of you. Very interesting to hear about this. I am not at the state where I can buy boxes but in two years I sure will be. Thank you again for answering my question and letting me know the strategies of coin roll hunting!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forest Gump

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12718 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand a lot of banks are shying away from this practice . They don't make any money by doing that and it's more of an inconvenience for them . However if you have an account with a certain bank and they know you, they probably will accommodate you . Good luck .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5818 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on how much the tellers like you.

If I were a teller and some random person did this, I would take their rolls back to the vault, stand there for 30 seconds, then bring them right back out and give them to the customer again.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but they don't like it
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32068 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy at one bank and return to a different one.If you return to the same bank, there is a chance you will get your old ones back.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you'll be getting the same rolls back again so Always use two or more banks.
I get rolls from two and return to one. They don't want me to re-roll. I use ziplock bags.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3855 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't used a bank in five years, but when I did they made a lot of money off my account in the form of fractional banking, interest, maintenance fees and so on. Not much different today. There are plenty around, so if you're not satisfied with one, move on to another.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, this advice was very interesting and I will be sure to take it.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just went to my Bank the other day and met with the manager.

I told her I was a coin collector and was hoping she could order me a bag of Ike's. Years ago they did it for me, but she said they can't do it anymore.

So I asked about turning in my bucket loads of loose change, telling her that one of the tellers once told me they would give me a canvas bag, I could fill up, bring in, they would zip tie it and send it to the main branch, run it thru a counter then credit my account.

She said I would have to roll them, Unless I had a business account as well.

I asked her to explain what I would have to do to qualify for a business account?

She informed me that all I had to do was say I have a business, like maybe a home based business where I sometimes sold my coins.

She said I did not have to maintain any preset balance either.

She said the only other requirement would be that with this account I would be issued a separate atm/debit card for that account, and I would have to use it at least 25 times a year.

She said once I set up that account, then I could bring in all the bags of mixed change I want, and they would credit my account.

I'm posting this because I've seen lots of posts about having to re-roll coins then having trouble getting rid of them.

I was completely transparent with her about me wanting to do lots of coin searching and not wanting to have to re-roll it, she smiled and said she understood.

This is one of the biggest banking chains in the Country. I don't want to say the name and her get in trouble, but it's something you may want to ask your bank about.

I know many of you do sell some of your coins, so this may work for you.
Hope this helps.
Edited by Snoopydoo
01/09/2020 03:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3855 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Snoopydoo - that's too much BS to deal with. I'd move on and find a bank and not have to deal with all that drama.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16477 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to find an Australian retail bank that is tolerant of recycler CRH'ers.
Rolls not used in OZ, all coins pre weighed bagged.

The banks all do however, allow their regular business customers to bring in bulk coins, but they have to be pre sorted by denomination and submitted in pre weighed small plastic bags. Bags recycled.
Learn More...
United States
82686 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is one of the biggest banking chains in the Country.
Does it rhyme with Smells Largo?

Or is its name also an American Football term?

I could go on, but I will not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cabowabo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't search boxes too often but when I do the most I return to any dump bank is $250. This is a little more work and time for me but I have never been refused. I don't want to make enemies. I am always very polite. We are making work for the tellers and there is no gain for the bank.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05