Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Coin Book Should I Buy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  8:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinSeeker2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Hi Folks,
OK, which book is better to get (and why?):

"Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States coins"
or
"The Official Red Book"

or, is there an ever better book that I did not see?

I'm not sure which one to get.

Happy Holidays!
Thanks!

Results

"Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States coins" 0% 0 Votes
"The Official Red Book" 0% 0 Votes
Something Else (Please Suggest) 0% 0 Votes

Poll Status: Locked
Total Votes: 0 Counted
Last Vote: never
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what floats your boat. If you like varieties, then the CPG is indispensable. However, in only covers the 'best of' varieties and is only the tip of the iceberg to all the existing varieties that are out there. There are also many specialty books (and websites for that matter) for a specific coin series. The RedBook really is just a price guide on a retail level.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinSeeker2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much!!
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ngs428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Red Book to me is a high level summary of many things. If you want a wide ranging book and you are a beginner the Red Book is a great choice. Take the prices with a grain of salt.

Understanding your knowledge level, interests and goals will help us point you to the best book.
Edited by ngs428
12/26/2019 10:40 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinSeeker2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I'm looking for a good guide on Error Coins: DDO, DDR, RPM, etc
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm looking for a good guide on Error Coins: DDO, DDR, RPM, etc

To the CCF!

While the RedBook does show a few varieties to look for, it is better for stuff like mintage numbers and other stats of all US coins. A must have for most US collectors and fairly inexpensive to buy.

The Cherry Pickers guide is Much more in depth when it comes to errors and varieties though. It is also split into 2 volumes depending on what series you are searching for and can be pricey to buy.

The RedBook comes out every year but the Cherry Pickers guide is no longer being published in book format. I believe you may be able to DL a digital copy though but not sure. There are some books still for sale on the net though.

There are many websites that cover variety and errors on US coins as well. Unless you absolutely have to have the book in hand this may be a viable option too.
Edited by MontCollector
12/26/2019 11:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19073 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are published by Whitman Publishing so just go to the Whitman Website and check out all of the coin books they offer.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05