Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bestest Lights For Imaging?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, within reason, I don't have bunches of money laying around!

So. I have not imaged a coin for five years.
When I tried to get the old setup fired up I found that the existing lights either don't even work or have disappeared.

So I need lights.

Are the Ikea Jansjo still the gold standard? Or has something better come along in the last five years?

Edited by Jon K
12/27/2019 4:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7569 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think these have been discontinued, but may still be available from some sellers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also heard that these lights ( Jansjo ) been discontinued. The Ikea store had the best supply and price. They might still have a few. Amazon has them, but they are expensive. Ikea store sold them for $9.95.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Jansjos are still my choice for coins, but indeed you'll need to buy them from ebay or Amazon or whatever. Good news is the ones they made in the last year of production have better switches, so last longer than the earliest ones.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they are still the hot setup, I haven't seen any different recommendations.

I found a couple on eBay, thanks a bunch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once you get them, you'll need to figure out how best to diffuse them...
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still trying to figure lighting out. Sometimes I get it right .... sometimes I don't.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinphotofan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jansjo is still my favorite light for coin photos, although I also use a range of other lights, including the Taotronics LED desk lamp:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-C.../B00APAQSP6/
Pillar of the Community
United States
9162 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still using the jansjos with ping pong balls for diffusers and I use a power strip to turn them off and on to avoid the inevitable switch failure.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the same thing but the switches still fail eventually. Since you're using the power strip to switch them on/off, you can open up the switches and short them out once they start to act up.

The later Jansjos changed the power supply from 3.4V to 7v, halving the current. This made the switch more reliable, but still not bulletproof. Even the new ones fail eventually. I think this is why they discontinued them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05