Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oddities, Rarities & Curiosities, A Niche Note Thread

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  2:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do you have a banknote that you consider an unusual piece of paper currency?
Perhaps a banknote issued, and then withdrawn?
A Bank that lasted only a short while, rendering it's issued banknotes rare?
A note that is special to you?
Please do contribute guys.

I got this banknote last month, 1 Sucre, Ecuador, (1920) issued by "El Banco sur Americano".
The Bank in question was formed by a Spanish citizen called Dr Rafael de Meza, who ignored the requirements by law to have any Gold/cash backing, amongst a few other issues.
He went ahead and opened a Bank in Quito, Ecuador, named it "Banco sur Americano" and actually issued 1 and 5 Sucre banknotes.
The banknotes were of fairly low grade paper & not up to security standards.
Due to not adhering to certain laws & compliances the Bank was closed down by the Government after a few days.
My banknote has no signature or serial number, so is effectively a Remainder & is quite common.
An issued "Banco sur Americano" 1 or 5 Sucre, with signatures & serial would be a nice find.
Here's my note, about EF- 1 Sucre (1920) from the short-lived "Banco sur Americano"

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nepal 5 Rupees (2002) p46a
King Gyanendra Bir Bikram's image is printed in a brown colour on this note, it was later withdrawn and re-issued with the King's image printed in red.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds Scots
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
84018 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks scopru, jbuck
Pillar of the Community
Canada
809 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1 Sucre, Ecuador, (1920) issued by "El Banco sur Americano".

-Nice note "Scots"

Quote:
King Gyanendra Bir Bikram's image is printed in a brown colour on this note, it was later withdrawn and re-issued with the King's image printed in red.

-interesting

Quote:
Perhaps a banknote issued, and then withdrawn?

Not sure if this one qualifies but its from Yugoslavia (P92a) and was "printed "GUVERNE" in latin without final letter R (engraving error) Series AF" according to SCWPM:

-not particularly rare (or high BV) but a nice "oddity."
Learn More...
United States
84018 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks walk2dwater, that Yugoslavia note is a great addition to the thread topic

This Bulgaria 50 Leva banknote was issued in 1990 & withdrawn shortly afterwards, around the time of the fall of Communism.
The banknote maybe denotes transition politically & harks back to Bulgaria's pre-Communist time as a Monarchy, with the Patriarch's royal palaces at Tzarevetz Castle pictured on one side and the Communist Coat of Arms on the other.

Bulgaria 50 Leva (1990) p98a

Learn More...
United States
84018 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
809 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This banknote is one of my favourites because my wife and I spent our last full day in Hungary exploring the Royal Palace at Budapest & enjoyed the views of parliament and the Danube. I really like the back image featuring the river view of the palace. I also like the fact that it is P111b so it was produced"without watermark" which with higher BV than 111a "with lauer leaves watermark" I assume must have been a shorter run.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent addition to the thread topic walk2dwater, thanks for posting that banknote.
I'm a bit of a fan of WWII era Hungarian banknotes, some of their designs are lovely.
Learn More...
United States
84018 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This banknote is one of my favourites because my wife and I spent our last full day in Hungary exploring the Royal Palace at Budapest & enjoyed the views of parliament and the Danube.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
809 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Hungarian banknotes, some of their designs are lovely

-even their later notes look so traditional & "old world" to me.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I would call a banknote oddity. It is a piece of wertbestaendige notgeld issued in Rosswein, Germany and dating from 1923. The face value isn't in marks as would be expected.....or even an actual specific and named commodity which they occasionally did in late 1923.... like rye, sugar or timber for example. The face value for the note here states ' Drei Einheiten'

The face value is for '3 units' of either Gas, Electricity or Water!
Learn More...
United States
84018 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
646 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting that notgeldman, a very unusual note and a great addition to the thread topic.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05