Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1721 Swedish Silver Thaler, Rare? Mintage? Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sweden
5 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  09:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orgoglioso to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

any Information is helpful.

Edited by orgoglioso
12/29/2019 6:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
14776 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@orgoglioso, first welcome to CCF. Second, with the signature C. Hedlinger, this looks like a Riksdaler. Here is the link to the numista link with more information:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37566.html

How much does your piece weigh?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Sweden
5 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orgoglioso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information Spence!,I was told that the signature was something of a rarity on this thaler. Sorry for my bad english. It weighs 29,8 gram.
Sweden
5 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orgoglioso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, do you know what grade my Thaler is?
Learn More...
United States
14776 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@orgoglioso, don't worry about your English--it's way better than my Italian.

You coin is a little heavy, but maybe still ok. I'm always a little concerned about fakes. Did you pick this piece up from a reputable numismatic dealer?

According to the numista page, there were approximately 1000 of these made with the engraver's signature and another 3000 made without it. I agree with you that this would be a rarity.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Sweden
175 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight is ok, I think. The edge should have the text GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO, can you please confirm that it does?

From the pictures it looks genuine. If it is, then it is a real gem you have here. It would be nice to see the other side. I don't want try to grade it, other than say that it looks to be in very good condition. A coin like this was sold at an auction two years ago: https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/theco...215&l=200616
Sweden
5 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orgoglioso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the information Erafjel!. The edge of the coin has letters written in latin with something along the lines GLORIA IN EXCELSIS Deo, I also updated the post with more pictures of the coin above.
Edited by orgoglioso
12/29/2019 6:47 pm
Sweden
5 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orgoglioso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information Spence. I bought this awhile back from a private collector, who is allways buying from reputable dealer, So I do not really know much about how we aquaired the coin. But I had a contract insuring if I could prove that the coin was not correct or genuine in anyway I would get my money back. But I am quite certain that the coin is genuine, I also have a old peice of paper from the 70s that mentions this exact coin because it was sold there at an numismatic shop, Which the collector got when he puchased the coin. So now I am in posetion of this document because I bought the coin. While I'm in Sweden during the newyear I will aquire more thalers at various numismatic shops
Edited by orgoglioso
12/29/2019 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be nice to see the edge and reverse. I have the unsigned version of this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2084 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw the new pictures. Looks authentic to me. Beautiful coin, congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2963 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

On the grade... the NGC census says that they have only graded one coin with the signature (at AU58), and 10 without. I could not find examples in a web search with an NGC or PCGS grade. But @erafjel provided a link for a coin like yours graded by the (British) seller as EF, and here is a link to a recent auction sale in Sweden for a coin without signature, which in my opinion is in comparable grade to yours (there were three of these in the same auction, which may help) https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...45d089347e5f
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP please send this to NGC to get graded/authenticated please!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05