Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Frang Error Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 760Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  10:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jgeiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
3767 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you posted your thread in the wrong section.
ça va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7621 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lettering and denticles look off to me when compared to a genuine 1852-A franc:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1170.html
(Numista)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17416 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check weight against the numismata information.
I also agree with NumisRob's opinion.

Obviously wrong spelling for the denomination.
Probably done this way to escape prosecution for forgery.

Call it fake, copy, fantasy or anything else that seems to fit, but definitely not genuine.

If it was in my possession, I would have included it in my 'black' collection of coins, and thus a 'keeper'.
Edited by sel_69l
01/04/2020 05:57 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
442 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it seems to be from the Frengh republic, as stated in the partially visible text around the coin: REPUBLIQ[UE FRA]NGAISE.

Frange is not as well known as its big brother France, perhaps it is best known for its many types of gheese and the Gitroen car brand. Some say it has tight links with Ghina.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

French Indo-china coins have a funny looking C "Republique Française"... I wonder if this is related?
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jgeiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jgeiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, it seems to be from the Frengh republic, as stated in the partially visible text around the coin: REPUBLIQ[UE FRA]NGAISE.

Frange is not as well known as its big brother France, perhaps it is best known for its many types of gheese and the Gitroen car brand. Some say it has tight links with Ghina.

Sorry to say, but definitely a fake. Denticles, details, lettering - all off. I would be shocked if it weighed at or near the 5 grams a 1 franc coin of that era should weigh.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
683 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only question is whether it is a gontemporary gounterfeit, or a modern gopy. [lol]
Edited by Anaximander
01/05/2020 08:46 am
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 760Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05