Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ATB Proof Like Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 822Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
proof like coins show up in the ATB series but ,,, is anyone else seeing PL finishes on only one side fairly often?

seems these full both side PL coins are sort of rare "ish".

whats odd is I find PL types in 19,, yet dates prior I am finding the once in a while PL only on one side... thoughts?

note--- has anyone reached out the mint to let them know our thoughts on their poor quality and to incude thougths about rusty coins already! this is a rediculous recipe they are using,, somethings has to change because I cant be the only one embarrased by our modern quarter coins condition.
Edited by jcassity
01/06/2020 01:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5166 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry bout that, didnt think I would have to do that for this topic....

what I know...........
2019 is said that ATB coins in some instances were struck per grading results well within the proof like condition.
in 19',, no coins I have found were proof like on one side only.

in previous years I ahe found many proof like coins with a PL finish on one side only,, although these are not very common,, it seems in my hunts through rolls, I am seeing these single side PL finishes represent maybe around 2 to 3 percent of the population.

anyone else concure>?

i have not found many discussions on this topic and I have to wonder if this is even a documented variety prior to 19'?

keep in mind I forgot to mention,, in years prior to 19',, I am seeing that "if" a PL finish was applied ,,, it is in 100% all cases that the polish would be applied to the reverse. there has t obe some value added to these sub sets,,,, and to imagine having a set of P and D of all the ATB coins.......? now thats a hard set to assemle.

if this is not a variety,, and "if" a set of these types were assembled,, in my logic I believe that they may not be all that valueable becasue if the people dont know about it.. then its not talked about,, its not popular,, and thus liekly looked at as an oddity and nice to see but not all that valueable. now if people "knew" and were looking",, that would trigger popularity and price. seem like common sense?
Edited by jcassity
01/07/2020 09:29 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see a few photos, please. I've gone through thousands of quarter rolls, and I'm not seeing what you've described. I am not calling you out, only stating what I've come across. Hope others comment.

Rest assured, the US Mint gets a lot of feedback on all it's coinage and related products--some positive, and a lot negative.
Edited by ijn1944
01/07/2020 3:47 pm
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok,,, I will show a "PL" type 2019 front and rear then show a "PL" from an earlier year where only one side is polished
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sample 1
we were able to pull several W 19' quarters river of no return out of a box but my sons have the dull version of the w. I kept the "PL" types I heard about.
this pair of pics is a PL W on the left as compared to the dull like coin on the right...

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the next two are from the 19' american memorial park..
the left is PL like while the right is a regular dull finish

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is a 16' roosevelt where the front is dull but the rear is PL

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is another PL catagory 2015 Kisatchie coin shoing its not your tyical dull finish

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so to the original question,,,, is anyone else noticing there are ATB coins out there in what is being called "Proof like" or aka per NGC as "PL"

these would not be a dull finish but somewhat of a cameo bright and chrome look to them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5166 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of all the circulation ATB Quarters I've seen over the years, the "S" mint circ strike quarters have a tendency to be more proof like in appearance than coins from the other three mints.

I suspect that the San Fran mint is most likely using left over proof dies to help strike their circulation quality coins for collectors. Whether that is factual or not I don't know.

Maybe the SanFran mint cares more about the quality of their finished products and preps their blanks differently?

Really more questions than answers.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jcassity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we already know that the W mint did do "proof like" stamps in small qty's,,, can anyone else confirm that they do have or hae seen ATB coins from prior years (non W) with a proof like finish and especially as I have shown,, including proof like finishes on only the reverse or on both sides?

I am litterally sitting here with a few that show evidence of this happening all the way back to earlier years in the 10, 11 and 12 years.

identical coins ,,, identical mint... yet some are mirror like looking while the others are the tpical dull or what I like to call brushed aluminmum look

this has to be by now another variety ,, I find it difficult to think that I am the only one seeing a huge difference in identical ATB's ,, and it should with all due respect add some degree of value to these more cameo looking coins.

one thing that comes to mind that my debunk what I am seeing is that the possibility exists that when a "NEW" die initially hits a plachet, these initial coins are so high quality that they made a extrodinary looking coin but.... it is not long lasted as the die wears out and eventually gets replaced,, then a few high quality units are then up for stamping......
or......
perhaps the very first die was of such high quality that these are the examples I see... while the remaining on had dies were not machined to the same quality.

to me it makes sense that the very first die used for buisness strike coins would be the highest quality "look" in order to demonstrate to the mint the coin and its appearance. subsequent dies many not have had the same amount of love as the first die of each ATB coin
Edited by jcassity
01/12/2020 12:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
976 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion, and that's all that it is my opinion,
In all instances there should be a high degree of reflectivity, not a "frosting" going on.

"According to PCGS standards, a coin's surface is Prooflike when there is a clear reflection in the fields on both sides as viewed from two to four inches away. A cloudy effect or striations may impede the reflectivity."

Everything pictured would fall in MS64 or lower and Prooflike would be inconsequential, again, in my opinion.
I have not seen a "PL" Quarter worthy of the title in all honesty. they all just look frosted, and no truly "mirrored, reflective fields" up to the standared of from 2-4 inches away producing a reflection.

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In all instances there should be a high degree of reflectivity, not a "frosting" going on.

In the past I have pulled non Proof coins from bank rolls that have had reflective surfaces, not "W" or uncirculated "S" coins. Maybe four times I have found these "reflective surface" coins. I don't know if they were Proof-like or not, I tend to leave that to the graders. But it was a pleasure to find them in rolls from the bank.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 822Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05