Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar O-114 Variety. Grading? Please :)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbie1877 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bought this on ebay for around $75 need help with grading and a possible authenticity check. thanks very much :) :) :)
Edited by Newbie1877
01/06/2020 11:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
82574 Posts
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Suomi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-details, it looks like it's been cleaned. Still a nice coin
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie1877 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious on its worth? I'm aware that this coin in XF condition can go around 200 but since its cleaned whats the impact on its value? thanks for your time :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details. all the original surfaces are gone so the value may be compromised quite a bit
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie1877 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what do you mean by original surface?
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Original surfaces refer to a surface that has not been cleaned, dipped, or polished. I don't see any abrasive lines on your coin, so I think it was dipped, which leads to a loss of luster and a flat appearance. That said, I still find this to be an attractive EF coin.
Knowledge is the key to collector success!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie1877 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, so do different types of cleaning have different types of affect on value? for an example does dipping decrease the value of the coin more than polishing ? thanks for the help.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some collectors who would say that any cleaning removes all value for them. There are others who would consider the grade of the coin compared to the amount of cleaning that has been done. Like most things, it's subjective.

I have found that the more noticeable the cleaning/altering of a surface is, the more it affects the value. For example, a highly polished coin might only be worth the metal content compared to the same coin that has only been dipped, so does not appear to have altered surfaces. Some dipped coins have even made it into TPG holders at PCGS and NGC.

I personally avoid polished, whizzed, or harshly cleaned coins (which usually have unsightly wipe marks and visible lines). That is not to say that I would pass on a good die marriage variety if that was what I could find. It could still fill a hole until something better comes along.

Sorry to be so ambiguous about this, but like most things in this hobby, it all comes down to the preferences of the individual collector.
Knowledge is the key to collector success!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05