Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A New Collecting Pursuit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4312 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most here know that my Canadian non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) focus is on the RCM's 36 millimeter silver dollar series. As I completed my set of these interesting commemorative coins about two years ago, the opportunities to add to my SD collection are basically limited to each year's new issues (unless a previously unknown-to-me item pops up somewhere!). While this certainly makes collecting the series easy, it does generally lack for challenge.

So, I've decided to expand my Canadian NCLT collection while at the same time keeping it familiar. I'm going to pursue the RCM's $5 commemorative coins that have been struck on the same 36 mm planchets as the SDs. Over the years, I've picked up a couple directly from the RCM upon their release, but I will need to buy the majority of $5 coins on the secondary market. My initial focus will be on the $5 coins that are single-year commemorative pieces that celebrate a specific person/place/event vs. the RCM's multi-year topical sets. (Of course, who knows what changes to my approach the future might bring!?) The RCM has issued $5 coins in various sizes and metal compositions, but I will only be collecting the silver issues struck on 36 mm planchets.

The RCM first used the 36 mm silver planchet for its $5.00 coins in 2005. At the time, I wondered why the RCM decided to use the planchet it had previously reserved for its silver dollar with the higher denomination coins. Was it because there were five different SD products slated for 2005 (all related to Canada's flag) and the Mint believed that was enough? Did the Mint believe that its SD collectors would also buy $5 coins if they were the same size? Did the Mint not want to develop a planchet of a different size specifically for the $5 coin? Did the Mint have an over supply of 36 mm planchets that it needed to draw down? To this day, I don't know the answer and the RCM Communications department was of no help when I contacted them years ago.

As these $5 coins will never replace my SDs as my core Canadian NCLT collection, I plan on being selective regarding the coins I purchase and have decided I don't need to have every issue to feel my collection is complete. To that end, I have put a few guidelines in place for my pursuit:

1. I will only add coins that are true commemorative pieces, not topical pieces. For example, I don't plan on adding the four $5 "Traditions of Hunting" coins to my collection as I view them as part of a topical series of coins without a specific anniversary being commemorated. I like true commemorative coins -- being NCLT does not make a coin a commemorative!

2. I will look for opportunities to add the desired coins for $40 CAD or less (~$30 USD or less) each. As with just about all of Canada's NCLT pieces, the current market is soft; I believe I will be able to get good prices on each of the coins and thus be able to build an interesting and attractive collection on a reasonable budget.

3. I have to like the coin! If I don't like a coin's design, I won't buy it! It's my collection after all.

As there aren't any scarce coins in the series - all are generally available - I expect my only potential "difficulty" will be finding the coins in my desired price range. Scanning dealer price lists and eBay, I find there is quite a range of prices being asked for each coin.

I've put together the following list of $5 commemorative coins on 36mm planchets with RCM issue prices in ()s.

Definite Inclusions

2005: Saskatchewan Centennial ($49.95 CAD)
2005: Alberta Centennial ($49.95)
2006: Breast Cancer / Ribbon of Hope ($59.95)
2009: 80th Anniversary of Canada-Japan Friendship ($47.95)
2012: Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary of Man-in-Motion Tour ($69.95)
2012: Georgina Pope - Women in the Canadian Military ($69.95)
2013: Devil's Brigade ($59.95)
2013: Royal Infant with Toys ($74.95)
2014: WWI Canadian Expeditionary Force ($64.95)
2014: Alice Munro ($69.95)
2014: Princess to Monarch ($64.95)
2015: Today's Monarch, Yesterday's Princess ($64.95)

Potential Inclusions (Maybe once I've assembled the coins above)

2013-2015: Canada Bank Notes Series (4 coins; $64.95 each)
2015: Cornelius Krieghoff Set (3 coins; $66.65 per coin)

Likely Exclusions

2006: Snowbirds Coin & Stamp Set ($59.95; I don't like holographic coins, especially when the hologram is essentially 100% of the design.)
2013-2014: Traditions of Hunting (4 coins; $69.95 each)

The combined issue price for the 12 coins I am currently seeking is $747.40 CAD, an average of $62.28 CAD per coin. My goal is to assemble the set for $480 or less - less than two-thirds of issue. As my two RCM-direct purchases were at full issue price, my other purchases will have to make up for the $45 that I am already over budget!

The RCM hasn't issued a $5 commemorative over the past few years; its focus appears to be on higher denomination coins (i.e., $10, $20 and up!). If it does re-introduce the $5 36 mm commemorative coin in 2020 or beyond, however, I will likely buy it/them upon release vs. waiting five or ten years. (I don't think I could ignore an active collection for five years!)

Please let me know if I've missed any $5 coin or coin set. I've tried to be thorough, but I certainly could have missed something!

As I make progress on my new RCM NCLT collecting endeavor, I will post about new purchases!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1220 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must be nice to be so focused in your endeavours of collecting. Since my first 'olympic set' in 1973 I have enjoyed numerous coins in many styles and types. Locking into one seems futile for me at this time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Commems, even in these difficult times for NCLTs I am impressed you are expanding your collection! You do have the right mindset though. Pre-established, clear goals with a set budget.

Once you are done with $5, perhaps you should consider some 10 dollars as well?

2007 Ancient China (not sure if it qualifies)
2005 Year of the Veteran
2005 Pope John Paul II
2006 Fortress of Louisbourg

Good luck!
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wishing you luck for some great looking coins with even greater deals on them...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4312 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... even in these difficult times for NCLTs I am impressed you are expanding your collection!

@CanadianCoins: I'm a coin collector, and that's my only explanation! The money I spend on these new additions to my NCLT collection would not change my life if I spent it elsewhere, nor would my life be impacted if they were suddenly worth nothing more than melt value. (I'd like for that not to be the case, but I won't lose sleep if "melt value" is in my future. )

The enjoyment that I will get from the coins, however, will make a difference to me. I will enjoy learning about them, writing about them, exhibiting them, doing show-and-tell about them with other collectors and maybe even giving a talk about them at a coin club somewhere.

I enjoy learning about history through coins and these RCM $5 coins will help me do just that for Canadian history!

Quote:
Once you are done with $5, perhaps you should consider some 10 dollars as well?

I have, in fact, given thought to the $10 coins! It turns out that I already have three of the four RCM $10 36 mm coins in my collection - missing the Year of Veterans coin. Thanks for the suggestion!

BTW, the 2007 Ancient China coin you mentioned is an $8 coin (vs. $10); I already have that one too! I was intrigued when it first came out and opted to get one.

Edited by commems
01/06/2020 10:00 pm
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

Congratulations on achieving a complete (to date) series.

I also share your focus with the 36mm SD and that was the first series I focused on when I moved to Canada in 1981. I reached the point you are at a couple of years ago and also decided to branch out. Rather than continuing with the 36mm Silver planchet, I added the $100 gold series on the 27mm planchet. In many ways, the series is the logical partner to the SD series; like the SD, this series is long running and for the most part reflects events in Canadian history. The few exceptions to this are Olympics or international events. In addition, there have been supplemental coins in a given year that have little to do with Canadian themes (Superman/Looneytunes) and there are also themes that are Canadian but not historical (Andy Everson 1st Nations designs). Additional similarities include an adjustment over time of the content of the planchet though the $100 has yet to see a 99.99% special issue the way that some of the SD's have. The series also has close brethren that cause you to scratch your head to decide whether to include in the set (1976 25mm 22kt $100 vs. the 2012 38mm Two Loons or last year's 34mm Piedfort version of the Matthew).

One big difference in the series though is that given the wider range in the price of gold over the life of this series, most of the older coins can be picked up for a few dollars over bullion value and while the price of completing the series is higher, the risk of loss in value is less... or more accurately stated, tied to the overall price of gold.

Finally, new releases while carrying a premium from the RCM are only 2 - 2.5x bullion vs the typical 5x or more for silver so even on the secondary market, the prices drop less.

I have a 'complete' series of SDs to date with the 2020 issues on order... I am still hunting for some of the $100 coins released in the last 10 years where... while available... the price point is still to high.

Best of luck growing your new series, I look forward to updates.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BTW, the 2007 Ancient China coin you mentioned is an $8 coin (vs. $10); I already have that one too! I was intrigued when it first came out and opted to get one.

Oops, yes you are right. They did make $8 coins! I did have that one at some point too...

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Learn More...
Canada
8933 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2004 golf silver $5 - it was only available in a frame package - but they are cheap, and it is easy to get the $5 coin out of it.

https://www.cdncoin.com/product-p/63491031175.htm
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4312 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa: Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into the $5 golf coin when I was preparing my original list, it is a 38 mm diameter coin vs. 36 mm. So, it doesn't meet my primary inclusion specification of being struck on the same planchet as the standard 36 mm silver dollar.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05