Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On Displaying Coin Collection In Regards To UV Protection.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  11:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add handermanntr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are everyone's opinions in regards to light damage on displaying coins in a secure room in a curio cabinet with a silica based dehumidifier inside. I will be using LED lighting in this room. Alternatively, I would assume that a room with a few small windows and UV filters on the windows would be the same. Is there any risk of damage with having light on them as long as UV is blocked or non existent?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on the LED lights you have they may give off a very small amount of uv light. Most give off none. I would say that your concerns about uv damage is unwarranted.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16248 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know UV light will not affect coins. It can cause plastics to yellow, and could cause printed items to fade but it shouldn't have any effect on metal. If it is very intense it might temporarily disloge electrons resulting in a slight static charge, but I would think that would be unlikely in display conditions.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add handermanntr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, and thanks for the welcome! I had heard that UV light will cause degradation over a long period. Also worried about the NGC or like plastic cases, but I figured that with the correct LED lights, they should be ok.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7561 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose plastic coins, such as those from the Keeling-Cocos Islands or Transnistria, might be affected by UV. I also wonder about the paint on some colorized coins or coins with holograms, etc.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19072 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think it would take to long to do any real damage to worry about. So many worry about what will happen to a coin in about 100 years or more.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12691 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to loose sleep over , If you want, just monitor the coins every few days . If their starting to tone in an unsightly way ,then you'll have to remedy the situation .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
Australia
13260 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UV light might make a silver coin that was going to eventually turn black anyway, turn black faster, since many silver compounds are UV sensitive. And intense UV light can cause a bright copper coin being soaked in acetone to react (apparently the copper acts as a catalyst, turning the acetone into acetic acid). But those are the only adverse reactions that I've heard coins have to UV light.

Paper money, on the other hand, will disintegrate.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add handermanntr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I think I will move forward with using a curio cabinet, with dehumidifiers and only LED lighting that does not produce UV. I am worried only about the plastic housing for graded coins, but with no UV it should be fine is what I am hearing. Thanks for the opinions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope to see pics of the curio cabinet display at some point.
Always neat seeing different ways of displaying collections.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3158 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A curio cabinet-that is a throwback to the Victorian era or earlier-a nice touch. Be sure to add some fossils and mineral specimens. Maybe not stuffed animals though.
Edited by oriole
01/09/2020 07:07 am
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A curio cabinet-that is a throwback to the Victorian era or earlier-a nice touch.

Quote:
Be sure to add some fossils and mineral specimens.

Quote:
Maybe not stuffed animals though.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add handermanntr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I will definitely upload photos once I have it, just a concept at the moment though. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed an issue for anything with printing including currency and ink autographs. its something UltraPro has spent a lot of time with regard to trading cards and ink fading.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05