Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1833 Bank Of Upper Canada Token. Is This An Error Or PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking for Canada Bank Tokens on the bay and came across this 1833 "To Facilitate Trade" token that caught my eye. I decided to watch and maybe make an offer closer to the listings closing time. Well this morning the seller actually sent me a lower offer on this item. I have never had that happen before.

What is going on with the planchet on this token? Kinda looks like a defective planchet which is why it caught my eye.

Anyways here is a link to token in question.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1833-CANAD...113964510825

Could all the wear on this token actually be a weak strike from a defective planchet?

Thanks in advance for any info or opinion you may have...Mont.

Edited by MontCollector
01/08/2020 7:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2756 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a token collector, nor an error collector, but many of the pre-conf tokens were very crudely made and had weak strikes. It does look like a faulty planchet.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like tokens but I would pass, the money isn't that big a deal and you can find a MUCH better looking token for same kinda money...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
of course a much better example could be found, but the beauty of this one is the anomalies,

that said I am not convinced that it is entirely a defective planchet. the large rim ding at 4 oclock and crushed rim at 10:00 lead me to believe that this one had a rough life, and that could be all that is going on.

i would still buy for curiosity and study (i will if you don't!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2020  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
of course a much better example could be found, but the beauty of this one is the anomalies,

that said I am not convinced that it is entirely a defective planchet. the large rim ding at 4 oclock and crushed rim at 10:00 lead me to believe that this one had a rough life, and that could be all that is going on.

I agree It is, as you put it, the anomalies that make this one unique.

I do think the ding on the rim looks like it was hit pretty hard, but the "gouges" look like they were there before it was struck. The design looks to flow unbroken right through some of them. Especially the date and on the rigging on the ship.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1894 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2020  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly an interesting find!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05