Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Silver 1992 "Spirit Of The Generations" Off-Struck In Pure Gold!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether or not it happens to be an Olympic coin is not what is personally interesting to me. Rather, it happens to be a legal-tender issue of a major Western nation off-struck in gold.

Not something one sees every day (hence my original post). However, to each their own, so to speak!

Happy collecting!

Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great thread if for nothing else but to learn about this piece and the knowledge others have of it.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, and that was the spirit in which it was intended!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16632 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scenario that prompted my question regarding legal status is the fact that
U.S. Mint expended a huge amount of legal effort to recover 1933 Double eagles.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference is that the 1933 Double Eagle situation consists of 10 coins totaling $70,000,000.00 or so in value.

Rather than a few coins selling for less than $25,000.00.

Edited by Prototype
01/11/2020 9:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Byers currently has a silver and gold set in the dual NGC holder listed on his web site for $12,500. Hopefully, anyone interested in the Heritage Auction coin is aware - the Heritage gold piece is the same grade but w/o the silver coin.

We'll see later today (after the auction closes) what value someone placed on the coin.

Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the current Mike Byers listing:

https://mikebyers.com/4749784-003-004.html
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the way that NGC encapsulated both the normal silver strike side by side with the off-metal strike in gold. It really puts the rare gold strike into perspective. That, in my opinion, is lacking from the current auction coin. The current auction coin sits alone facing backwards and, as such, does not even look like a coin.

Compared, in-turn, with the duel-set's portrait of the queen properly facing out including the year, nation of issue, and coin's denomination in the double-cased set. However, that is easily fixed by sending it in to N.G.C. And the certificate is a nice (and important) touch!

Edited by Prototype
01/12/2020 2:08 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8917 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John100 is right - the Royal Canadian Mint does not mess around when it comes to "mint sport" and gold coins.

Much safer as a Canadian, to own a coin supposed to be struck in gold, but struck on a pure nickel planchet instead... (yes, this one is mine). Six of these exist, and Sandy Campbell suspects that they are trial strike pieces, given that they are fully struck and pure nickel is so much harder than gold.

The coin on its intended planchet:

And, struck on a pure nickel 50c planchet:

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why gold struck on nickel would be "safer" then silver struck on gold. Without a contemporary court case (and decades later after being struck) I would not be concerned about either in Canada.

Especially when the coins have been openly sold at auction for years without protest.
Edited by Prototype
01/15/2020 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP Ottawa, your errors Collection is truly one of the best.
Learn More...
Canada
8917 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
don't know why gold struck on nickel would be "safer" then silver struck on gold. Without a contemporary court case (and decades later after being struck) I would not be concerned about either in Canada.

That's easy to say, being a collector south of the border. Other than the 1970 gold strike, you won't see those gold coins that Mike Byers offers in a Canadian auction. The RCM instructing the RCMP to seize coins is not unprecedented in Canada, especially on Canadian soil. Any 5 figure error coin is a bloody big error coin in Canada - and you have at least two heavy hitter error collectors in Canada, in this thread, telling you that they won't touch it, for that very reason.

The RCM cares little about base metal "mint shenanigans" that have escaped, but they will track down their gold within Canada. That said, they seem oblivious to US and European auctions however...

Maybe it's nothing, but as an error collector, is it worth the risk?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prototype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would actually be more concerned about the 1970 gold Manitoba, as there was a court case specifically regarding it. No such case was ever brought against the gold "Generations" coin.

Happy collecting!

Edited by Prototype
01/15/2020 9:53 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05