Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Gold "Non-commemorative" Coin In 2020

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  9:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, the US Mint will be issuing another Au coin, to go along with the Mayflower coin, in 2020 that they can't call a commemorative coin because the Congress didn't authorize it. This coin will "recognize" (can't say commemorate) the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII.

Coin World has had a couple of articles discussing the newest non-commemorative coin, but at this point it doesn't seem like much information is known about it. The denomination and metal content are unknown at this point, but more information should be available soon, as the CCAC is scheduled to discuss it on Jan 21.

Although Coin World is against these coins that according to Coin World circumvent the Congress, they are speculating that
Quote:
If these two 2020 "noncommemorative coin" programs find success, this approach could become a common practice at the Mint as it seeks to expand its products lineup.

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one look forward to these two issues. Commemorating basketball does nothing for me and I will certainly pass on that and most other commemorative coins. Being descended from several Mayflower families and having a love of history, makes these two issues all the more interesting.
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The designs are now available on the Mint's website.

The WWII anniversary Au coin will have a $25 denomination and be pure 24ct gold (the other non-commemorative 2020 coin on the Mayflower is a $10, .25ozt 24ct coin).

Looks like the Au coin and Ag medal will have the same designs.

I didn't see any designs that absolutely WOWed me, but IMHO some of them are at least in the OK category.

Edited by BadDog
01/17/2020 2:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1612 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such bland designs for one of the most significant events in recent history. If not for the dates and a couple of words, these could "recognize" anything. Pass.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Such bland designs for one of the most significant events in recent history. If not for the dates and a couple of words, these could "recognize" anything. Pass.

I had some hope for these coins (even if I don't agree with their authorization), but the designs are not distinctive at all. Definitely a pass for me as well.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the topics, very disappointed by the designs. Most of those are just embarassing
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mritchie77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are pretty bland. I collect commemoratives, but with SO many things being offered by the mint (medals, bullion, this) I have to pass just to stay on topic with my sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The CCAC has posted the transcript of their Jan 21 meeting when this coin/medal was discussed. They haven't yet posted their recommendation letter to Secretary, but from the transcript it looks like they're recommending Obverse 8 and Reverse 4.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They haven't yet posted their recommendation letter to Secretary, but from the transcript it looks like they're recommending Obverse 8 and Reverse 4.

If that really is their recommendation you do have to be impressed with how they always manage to come up with the worst recommendations
Edited by basebal21
02/08/2020 11:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...you do have to be impressed with how they always manage to come up with the worst recommendations

You should read the part of the transcript where they discuss potentially recommending presidential pets, dogs and butterflies as future commemorative programs

IMHO you commemorate people, places and events not routine things like pets and insects
Pillar of the Community
United States
1612 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You should read the part of the transcript where they discuss potentially recommending presidential pets, dogs and butterflies as future commemorative programs

That part of the discussion went on a lot longer than I was expecting. Two points of note: those ideas apparently came from the public, and the committee didn't seem to like those ideas: "There's not much there" and "I don't see a market here for this".
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

IMHO you commemorate people, places and events not routine things like pets and insects

I could get on board with dogs and cats because I really like those, but at this point I am convinced that they will mess up anything they are involved with. I used to read their things more but stopped a while back after reading some of their logic for why they want certain things like the guy who wanted a sea turtle for the war in the pacific quarter.

I'd love nothing more than to see that committee dismantled
Pillar of the Community
United States
1142 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two points of note: those ideas apparently came from the public, and the committee didn't seem to like those ideas: "There's not much there" and "I don't see a market here for this".

It didn't seem to be an agenda item, so it looked like the members were hit with it out of left field. They did seem to be negative on the presidential pets, but less so when it came to dogs and butterflies/flowers in general.

The suggestions did come from the public, but the Chairperson was under no obligation to discuss them. IMHO their limited time could be better spent discussing items more worthy of consideration and potential commemoration.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05