Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Complete 1864 Confederate Set... Was This A Steal?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 745Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2020  11:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JFPouncey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey! I'm a few weeks in on my obsession of rare currency, and I decided to go all out today and blow some money on a pre-framed 1864 complete set of confederate currency.

Starting bid was $600, it was coming to and end and no one bidded so I shot in a $400 offer, then they shot me a $450 counteroffer and I accepted.

Was this a steal or did I over pay?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33607 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. If they are all genuine then you did good. Not my area so wait for the pros to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. I'd like to see better photos of the individual notes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2836 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hopefully they are friction fit into the frame, and no adhesives were used..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4659 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are the sort of things that should be certified.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47993 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close-up pics would help.
Learn More...
United States
86321 Posts
Valued Member
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13428 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that Confederate currency isn't worth anything .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay sales history suggests Confederate currency does have collectible value, presuming it's genuine.

This is a quick search for certified/graded notes -- https://www.ebay.com/sch/3414/i.htm...=1&LH_Sold=1 -- looks like about a $60 minimum, depending on condition and other factors.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
25835 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are at least 10,000 counterfeit Confederate currency notes for each genuine note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2667 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had this 1954 Cheerios Confederate set for a while. All you needed was 25 cents and a Cheerios box top. Cheerios claims to have issued more Confederate currency then the Confederacy.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming the $500 is real and isn't damaged, that is where your value is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 745Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05