Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Colored And/Or Painted Kennedy Halves

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  4:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Going through a box of halfs and ran into a couple of these plated and colored(looks like stickers then lacquered). Seen them for sale on ebay. Wondering if the satin finish ones would be worth trying to remove the stickers or just leave them alone.

I doubt any have any value.

The plated one has 1960 and 1985 stamped on them on the obverse as well.

Thanks,
Dyno
Edited by Dynotech
01/12/2020 4:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Dynotech. Hopefully, you found the halves from a bank box. What I mean is, you still get the same value you spent in getting the PMD halves which were
Quote:
plated and colored(looks like stickers then lacquered)
when you return those to the bank.

Those PMD/PSD halves that were
Quote:
plated and colored(looks like stickers then lacquered)
have no premium.

Try to find coins that are not altered from their mint state condition.... enjoy the hobby....
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes found them in a bank box. So no loss.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3030 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have novelty value. In good shape they might sell for $1-2 to the right person.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43854 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically garbage targeted at the naive collector.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wondered if a long soak in acetone would take the paint off of some of these. I've seen "colorized" ASEs go for melt value at auctions because collectors hate them. I've been tempted to pick up a few and see if I couldn't get them back to the original silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43854 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but a VERY low potential return for the time invested. You think they painted gems?
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a smart move on your part, Dynotech... you are business minded thinking of no loss, just gain...

Hi, oriole. I have noticed you have a business streak running in you. That's good.

I think if someone sells those coins as novelty items, the description as PMD/PSD should be clearly stated. Since, at this point in time, free market is still being practiced and making choices is still recognized. The buyers can still buy what they want, the seller can still sell coins... hoping for the presence of a demand...

In this manner, a smooth transaction will occur between the buyer and seller. The seasoned collector will not scare the newbies..... I think....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3030 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sosicoin, one of my numismatic friends is a vest pocket dealer. I know that these are popular novelty items at his table, and this is what he would try to sell them for. He can sell them because he prices to sell-for a modest profit.

And yes, they would clearly be identified as altered coins as they should.

If I had one to get rid of I would try to sell it to him for a bit over face value.

Also, I have a small collection of these curiosities, and I sometimes buy the nicer ones if they are not much over face value.
Edited by oriole
01/13/2020 10:20 am
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, oriole. How nice of you to practice good business ethics. That's what we need in this coin environment... transparency from the coin seller which makes the buyer know what is being paid for... at times both parties take risks, but that's part of the coin game... I made sure I did not type con game... just kidding....

We all need to lighten up in this world full of responsibilities....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you can (sort of) (sometimes) soak off the "design". But it takes time and will reveal a damaged coin underneath. I have a 1921 Morgan which is in acetone right now. After two weeks, some of the junk is finally loose. Underneath is a classic brillo pad coin.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just interesting stuff. Ill keep'em for now and maybe sell them for at least 50c ;) The 2014 is a temp port filler so its staying for sure.

Its funny they did an ok job with the plating but then they stamp it with those dates. And do so so hard it even shows on the reverse. I wonder the outfit is producing these maybe the 1960-1985 is a clue.

THanks again all!,

Dyno
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05