Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 Penny With Errors -- Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trixiemaybe1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I dont know anything about coins, honestly, but I do know that I have something here based off research I've done and comparisons of a penny from the same year in much different condition.

What would something like this be worth? Where do I sell it? I figure the errors are fairly obvious but please note which ones you see. I'm still learning (understatement haha).

Cropping is weird, sorry. But you get the gist. No color editing. And the coin has never been cleaned.
Edited by trixiemaybe1
01/12/2020 5:37 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20273 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing but a badly worn and damaged coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Trixie, welcome to the forum. What I'm able to see unfortunately doesn't appear to include any errors. I do see a lot of damage to the coin -- plenty of hits all over and the color is from environmental damage. Please point out specifics if I'm missing something here, though.
everything else
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trixiemaybe1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one appraiser I talked to said that this isn't all from wear and tear. That there is errors in the date (the raised dash in front of the 1980, the size of the D stamp with or without damage, and that there is some damage to the other side that isn't caused by wear and tear either). I'm going off of what he had said but idk
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, okay. I was thinking the dash in front of the date was some raised metal resulting from a hit from another coin. However, it might also be a die gouge, but it's unclear to me. I think a clear closeup of that area would allow for a better determination. As far as the mintmark being larger than normal (damage notwithstanding), this *could* mean it's an RPM, but this would again require a good closeup, and even though it would be very difficult to determine with as much wear is on the coin. Where did you get your coin appraised?
everything else
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20273 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See if the appraiser is willing to make an offer and if it's more than 1 cent, take it.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trixiemaybe1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a closer photo.
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, its all just damage. If that appraiser is willing to pay you anything more than one cent then take it and run, because they're probably the only person that would pay that.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20273 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11957 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@trixie, that last pic was perfect thx. Unfortunately, I agree with the others here on CCF that these are all stray marks from circulation rather than mint errors.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, to the CCF!

Second, I'd get a new appraiser if I were you. I agree with everything that's already been said. It's easy to see dollar signs in a different looking coin, but this coin you have shown us has been damaged after leaving the mint, badly damaged at that. Luckily, it's still worth one cent.

Again, welcome! We're here to help!
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Learn More...
United States
81003 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05