Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Pay For A Full Set Of Reproduction Morgans?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admit I am unsure of the legality of the transaction but I will say that I am a bit on the fence morally because this seems to be a secondary transaction (removed from the actual counterfeiter) where both parties acknowledge the high probability of fakes. Of course I am assuming that the seller was not importing or making these. If the OP is going to lock them away out of reach of shady characters who would try to pass them off as genuine I don't think it is a bad thing. Even better if the buyer keeps them for educational purposes and then counter stamps them in order that they never get circulated as genuine.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$25 for the dansco album and $0 for the coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
1547 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly the Dansco is tainted I would only take it for free at this point :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never buy them, don't encourage counterfeits by creating more demand for them.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3240 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would even question the Authenticity of the Dansco!
Read again ......No place for Counterfeits in Numismatics !
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"$25 for the dansco album and $0 for the coins"
Please don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that I valued the album, not the coin.

I've been to a country overseas and witness first hand a vendor selling these by the buckets. You can buy a single fake morgan for about 50 cents (less if you buy 10 coins). I'm sure even at 50 cents, the seller is making a huge profit. There's no way I would spend any for those fake coins.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To those who replied, thank you very much. I asked for opinions and that's what I got.

To those (thankfully few) who chose to respond with a bit more vitriol and hyperbole than I expected (no, I won't be one of the reasons why this hobby is destroyed as it's much, much stronger than that, it's been around a lot longer than any of us and will easily outlive us all), I would like to point out that I very clearly stated this was an interesting "proposition", not a done deal or even something I went looking for.

Had this simply been a "hey, do you want buy a fake Morgan cheap" type of deal I would never have given it a second thought. Because of the unique nature of the deal, i.e. a complete set of high quality reproductions, I thought I'd ask the community for it's opinions. Perhaps these exact kinds of deals are more common than I thought? Possibly, but I've not seen one like this before, so when faced with uncertainty I sought advice. Kind of thought that was the mature, adult thing to do.

As for those of you concerned about the legal aspects of this or any other similar type situation, rest easy. The federal law concerning counterfeit coins reads as follows:

18 U.S. Code §#8239;485.Coins or bars

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States any false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—

The intent to defraud requirement is what keeps the government from arresting anyone simply in possession of counterfeit coins. If it weren't for this small clause, anyone of us that possessed, accidentally or intentionally, a counterfeit coin (including a Henning Nickel or a Racketeer Nickel, both collected counterfeits) would be on their way to Leavenworth.

In any event, thanks again for everyone's input.

Good Hunting to all!
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never said you would be breaking the law. But the seller would. And I would rather not be either party in an illegal transaction.

Are you going to stamp copy on them once you have them? If not, what happens if you die? Your heirs prob sell your coin collection right? Sure it can be argued that they don't know they're fake. So wouldn't be illegal for them. But now those fakes are back in circulation. And some collector just got screwed over.

Why don't you just buy legal copies of the hard to find dates. I've seen some that look very nice. With the word "copy" worked into the design and hardly noticeable. They would fill your empty holes too.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lancek,

The seller would only be breaking the law if he was selling with the intent to defraud. Selling a counterfeit as a counterfeit is not illegal.

Quote:
Are you going to stamp copy on them once you have them?

I never said I was going to acquire them. As I posted, I was looking for opinions and input. Some people have some thoughtful and interesting things to say about the idea, others not so much.

Quote:
Why don't you just buy legal copies of the hard to find dates

Again, this was an opportunity that presented itself to me in a unique way. I wasn't looking for fake Morgans, wasn't interested in fake Morgans, but when a complete set of high quality reproductions presented themselves to me I thought I'd get some input.

As I said, it seems a novelty to have a complete set and I was wondering if any other collectors saw it the same way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1460 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well after reading and re-reading this post I thought I would "Chime In"

1)
Counterfeit coins are allowed to be sold providing they state replica or copy clearly labeled on the coin or object.

2)
The images of the coins in this post are not "good FAKES" not even close!

3)
Known contemporary counterfeits like the Micro O Dollars and some other older coinage that until the last 10 years where thought to be real and even graded, are in fact allowed to be sold and traded. Providing that the said coins are encapsulated and a clearly labeled as such. I own the only MS graded 1902 O Micro O. Up until 8 years or so, PCGS,NGC and ANACS graded them as real! ICG will grade them today and they have a Counterfeit Label that the Secret Service deems to be approved.

4)
Modern Counterfeits are made to deceive and defraud the "Collector"! Where as contemporary counterfeits where produced for "Commerce". While some may see no difference in the 2 types, there is a huge difference.

5)
David Carr produces Modern "Re-Strikes" by definition one could call the coinage he makes as counterfeit. They would also be wrong. Understanding "how, and out of what" is important if we as collectors are to educate new or newer collectors.

Lets Face it, the criminals are not going to stop stamping them out! Know your coins, ask questions, be inquisitive, and Educate the younger or newer collectors. That is our Jobs! Pass on what you know, and what you have seen!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
don't waste your time---forget about it---
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you are one of the reasons, why counterfeiters keep making , and selling their coins. If you think 1 or 2 may be real you are wrong,they are all fakes.. they sell them in sets, for 3-4$ a coin.. and the cycle continues, as long as people buy them even knowing they are fake, they will continue to ruin the market, for coins..

THIS
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05