Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

White 2001 Penny (Zinc Only?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 639Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like someone missed a step here. Is this just an error coin? weighs 1.9 grams. This also has a wide "AM"

Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, sirguardian. The design for Lincoln penny 2001 is a wide "AM". It looks like your coin had been dip in a corrosive material which caused a decrease in weight (1.9 grams) from the weight of 2.5 grams.

Enjoy the hobby...
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of my 2001 cents have a "close" AM. I'm not sold on the corrosive theory. The edges are to consistent. The marred portions look like the results from heat during press. This coin is thin as a dime but it's not a Mule type. I need to investigate further. I'm just curious, I have never seen this.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy investigating on your coin, sirguardian. Gained knowledge is very indispensable in every day activities... have fun...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37210 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like acid/environmental damage to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it... closer look on the AM is questionable for the condition... still a keeper here. Thanks guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4612 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The FG initials show it to be a normal closed AM reverse for that year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4600 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with John1, environmental or acid damage. No mystery found here. PMD, not a keeper.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No monetary value... but a teachable product for the young ones behind me. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim0815 Can you expand on your last. My view I see separation on AM. You say this is normal for 2001?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the roughness of the zinc addition over the plating on this coin. Altered surface. Not a mint error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8473 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it is a close AM.
There are other markers to go by besides the AM.
Sometimes die polishing can cause a slight gap but it is still a CAM.
As far as the missing copper, I agree with John1, the coin is too light
to be missing the copper clad at the planchet stage.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roger that. It makes sense. I will put it in my "Odd Ball" collection with a short caption. Thanks
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 639Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05