Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Canadian 10 Cent - This One Has To Be Something Special!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  9:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zester76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay guys. I'm determined to find something impressive in my collection! Think I may have found it.

Here's an 1870 dime. BOTH of the letter A's in GRATIA don't have the line in them. By this I mean they appear to be more like an upside down V. You can see the other letter A's on the coin are not the same.

Again, sorry for the lighting. I guess I should have waited until tomorrow but had to share. Is this a known variety? I looked at a couple of books and sites but found no mention of it.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7779 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plugged die or broken punch.
Interesting but not impressive.
Keep looking.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/15/2020 10:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16442 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't write it off that easily.
An Australian sovereign was found with just the same letter defects.
The outcome:
A new variety was identified.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. But how in the world do you get a new variety accepted in the hobby?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, if the a/v 50 cent coin is something this certainly should be too.

I think to get a variety or error recognized you have to get it through the first 3-5 rounds of 'this is not impressive' even though common sense tells you better. And then have afew people of influence discover the variety, hopefully it gets added to a catalogue and documented. Not personally big into varieties on cdn coins for this reason, I enjoy seeing them for pure wonder of how it happened and the fact that it's different from others.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
635 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 3rd pic down shows 6 "A"'s. 4 look like "A"'s, the other 2 do not. Good luck, you may be on to something.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the sherifs on the "A"s in question have a wave to them, same as the V in Victoria, the "regular" A's are flat, MIGHT be something new

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2326 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zester76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. Also appreciate the link to the other similar. Perhaps new varieties are only added when that person of influence has one? haha Interesting topic anyhow. I guess I'll hang onto it and hope it one day is introduced as a new variety. I'm definitely not a coin expert, but having two A's with dashes missing in the same word seems strange...even considering the possibility of a die being plugged. That said, I really have no clue...hence the reason I'm here. I appreciate any and all feedback as it makes for good discussion and education.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the possibility of clogged die, there are two other possibilities. One is that the person doing the repunching forgot to repunch those two A's (my preferred choice). The second is that the crossbar on the A-punch broke off.
Alan put forward that this could be compared to the 1872H 50 cent A/V, but there is no evidence that a V-punch was used on the dime, but obvious proof of the A-punch on the 50 cents.
The coin that Wade linked to has the same "crossbar error", but it looks to me that the fat foot on the left A is damage (there is a mark on the queen's hair that goes onto the field then over the foot of the A). Both A's are damaged and nowhere is there a sign of a V being repunched on the A's (how would you know anyway ?).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could always put it up on a sale site like eBay, state your case put an amount on it you feel comfortable with letting it go for, I see many people put crazy amounts on and a make offer option. Who knows maybe it will sell for a lot or create discussion and research?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16442 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way to prove that it is a die variety,
is to find at least one other (preferably more) example(s) that is / are exactly the same, with inverted 'V's.

That is how a new variety of the Sydney Mint Sovereign was proved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a known variety (I'm writing a book on Dime Varieties).

I call this "Broken GRATIA" or "Broken Serifs"

There's two types, or rather, two die pairs.

One with Narrow 0. And one with Wide 0, on reverse.

Get both, they're fun.

The 1870 10c has 13 Varieties I've discovered, in total.

These are two of them. Some are extremely rare. These aren't that rare.

Edited by canadian-varieties
01/18/2020 02:31 am
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, here's a coincidence. Last night this 1870 dime was on ebay. At first , I thought it was the Zester's coin; same missing crossbars. Sold for $21.01 US, and of course, I was the second highest at $20.60, dang, by 41 cents.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05