Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 Penny That Weights 2.5 Grams Is It An Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  04:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pistolhammer16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
14293 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell if its been reduced in size or some circulation wear has removed some of the surface. Can you post a clear image?

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31829 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Please post infocus photos,front and back and crop them before posting. Double check your scale.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistolhammer16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is worn alot but think it on dime punch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1759 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still needs to be a lot closer and much bigger photos of both sides, please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7883 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Unless you can supply a clearer photo where we can see the details of the coin,
there is not much we can say for sure.
Also crop and orient your photos as per CCF instructions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
924 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not appear to be a dime planchette. What is the diameter? Plus closer and clearer pics would help
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31829 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was on a dime planchet, it would be nickel color and weight differently from a cent planchet.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7883 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also if it was on a dime planchet, you would not have full rims as a dime is smaller than a cent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1405 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all above.

You really need to work on your photo skills
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a very corroded coin. Maybe a metal detector find.

Dan
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
environmental damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42172 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin could have been reduced by sanding or even adding acid to it. But it is not a dime planchet. On a dime planchet the color would not be red. Also the devices would fall close to the edge of the coin:

1943 cent on dime planchet:

Note the edges of the coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05