Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reminder, There Are Three Dies That Strike Every Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 769Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9138 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  5:57 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I pulled this one out a recent big search I did on nickel dollars this past fall. At first glance, this one appears to be slightly off-centre, with some rim finning on both sides.

But as I handled the coin, it felt "odd" on the rim...

This features runs evenly around the entire rim, and for nickel dollar errors, this one is very rare - in all my years of searching the big batches I go through, and hunting and buying errors at auctions and shows, this is the ONLY one I have ever found. The coin is well struck, but the collar die was not properly set I suppose? A pretty cool find for face value, and definitely a keeper!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1793 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool find but with you said this is the only one you have found out of all the dollars youve searched, how often do you actually look at the rim?
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you tend to hold coins by the edge, you'd be able to feel a partial collar like this one. You'd know before you even look.

I have found two on US coins only because they felt different. One quarter and one penny.

Definitely not common, nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7983 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1665 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice R! Collar clash on "south" rev,?

Learn More...
Canada
9138 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say, there is barely a rim there... but looks like it (as the reeding is missing on the hammer die half of the rim).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome find, I've seen this on a US quarter before but never on any Canadian coins, but it is also something I never really thought to look for which apparently I should, an I'm glad I finally know the answer to the third die that strikes every coin! I will keep that in mind from now on.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations. Great find. That work really paid off this time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 769Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05