Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collectors Who Sell Coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  06:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin People,
I have a collection of around 200 coins at the moment and I'm contemplating selling around 140 of them; the idea being to use the proceeds to upgrade and expand on the 60 that are really in the areas I'm interested in. It's more about focusing the collection but of course the $$ would help.

None of these are hugely valuable - there are some relatively high grade though not especially scarce Canadian pennies (EFs and AUs; 1876 - 1902) as well as some silver pieces from the same era.

Two questions:

1. How to do it? Sell over eBay? Get a dealer else to do it? Trade/sell via a club (haven't joined one yet but thinking about it).

2. What sort of prices to expect? Trend? 60% trend? Carlton?

Thanks in advance....
Pillar of the Community
United States
6446 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  07:13 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the options outlined in #1 are good. Keep in mind eBay will give you the highest prices, but a dealer the highest liquidity. A club or specialty group would also be a good option as your target market is right there, and often times they are willing to pay a premium.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3135 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The basic rule is,the more you do and the more risk you take, the more you get (ebay). Sell them to a dealer who does the work and they get more profit.

In my coin club, nobody will pay a premium. They expect a lower price! Remember that in a small coin club, there may not be anyone who needs/ wants your items.

My LCS once told me that he has trouble selling large cents, partly because the collectors are very fussy and partly because most have fairly complete collections.

Considering that many dealers consider themselves lucky if they can SELL for 70% of trends, they will pay substantially less.
Valued Member
Canada
445 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to a dealer, go in with very low expectations and try not to get offended by what they offer. I'd say your best bet is eBay. If you get enough posts, you can also try to sell on here. A club may also be a good source, but it really depends on the member composition as in what they collect and if they are in the accumulation or de-accumulation phase of collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing is to get a value of the coins so you can deal with sales of them and not get ripped off. Do some research. Look at your coins and see if you can find sale prices they sold for and make a list so you don't forget. Check PCGS sales/ebay check Facebook groups that also buy and sell to each other. You may have some coins you think will sell for good money but that might not always be true so don't get upset. Stay away from dealers most will take advantage of you if you don't know the worth of you coins. They also want to make money as do you. KEY is knowing what you have and the worth. You might not get the high price depending on the condition of your coins but you will know how not to get ripped off. Good luck.
Edited by Daves Errors
01/20/2020 1:49 pm
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good suggestions - I was also thinking that Torex, which is a local coin show that I often attend takes donations for their kids activities - educational activities around grading and that sort of thing. I might just off load them that way and forgo the financial return,...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a dealer, and my advice is not to sell to a dealer. I don't know Canadian coins, but let me give you some examples of pricing that is pretty consistant regardless of where you go in the US.

If someone came in with their collection, which happens all the time. We pay:

Three Cents per Lincoln Wheat cent; Seven Cents per Indian Head cents; and Fifty cents for Large Cents
Ten Cents per Buffalo nickel; 20 cents for V and Shield nickels; and a quarter for half dimes. Modern Jeffersons are face value except for war nickles which are thirty five cents, unless they are a particually nice set where we would offer a ten percent premium just to get the whole set.

Silver coins we buy at a percentage of melt.

Having said that, if the collector actually knows that they have premium coins then we can start discussing better terms, but almost never does that happen. We give them a price and they usually take it.

You will almost always do better to sell them yourself, unless the collection is what my business partner calls "pocket change" collections.
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much for this advice. I think the plan is to sort the higher grade stuff that might actually be of interest to someone from the low grade, common stuff. I'll try my hand at eBay for the former and donate all of the latter to the kids table at Torex....
JN
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...If someone came in with their collection, which happens all the time. We pay:

...Fifty cents for Large Cents

WOW!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2706 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any coins you are unsure of please post pictures, and we can give you an idea of values.. if you are a first time seller on ebay, there are things to be careful of..
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silverwolf - I'm fairly confident about grading (though less so around copper than silver) but, yes, I need to get set up to take decent photos. Those blurry cell phone pics that you sometimes see on eBay are not inspiring!

As regards the 'things to be careful of' could you expand on that a little? I would direct message you but, as I'm a newbie here, I'm not allowed to do so....
JN
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19050 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You still might consider getting enough posts here to sell here. Might get you faster results. Sounds to much like your in a hurry. That is normally a bad thing since that is where people usually loose out the most.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05