Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Notgeld Coins Made From Compressed Coal Dust Along With Porcelain Ones!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
272 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:34 pm Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a picture of a fairly scarce set of 3 notgeld coins - made from compressed coal dust! Notgeld were made from some very interesting and unusual materials.

For coin collectors, there are quite a few 'non-metallic' notgeld coins one can collect, from different towns and cities of Germany, made from porcelain and maufactured by the Meissen Porcelain Factory. The coal-dust pieces, because of scarcity, are quite expensive, whereas some of the Meissen porcelain notgeld coins can be bought for under 10 dollars US each. You can see an example in pictures below. Hope this is interesting for some of you.......

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

The world famous trademark of the 'crossed swords' can be seen on all the Meissen made porcelain coins.
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
272 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK - super. Thanks! As you know, I'm new here so need to get my bearings a bit better. I want to share my notgeld knowledge and experience with anyone who shares my interest. Have a great day.
Learn More...
United States
14775 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ngm, first welcome to CCF. Second, while Notgeld isn't a particular interest of mine, you may find the following thread of interest as it deals with coins made from unusual materials including porcelain and coal:

http://goccf.com/t/284136
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3151 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

There are a few of us who are very interested in Notgeld, and that includes me. Ihave one of the coal dust tokens, and there is at least one other person who does as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been interested in the coal pieces, but I don't own any of them. I just collect the metal municipal pieces. I believe I have somewhere a little north of 2000 different now. Mostly I collected by Lamb number, but I've also added the Funck numbers for municipalities that aren't in Lamb.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wanted to examine one of the coal ones. I've got a beautiful white porcelain one.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
272 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a bit of extra info about the compressed coal dust coins, including the following:
The back of the 1000m piece has a man on it with initials 'S. F'. Apparently this stands for 'Sepp Frank'.

A total of 8500 compressed coal-dust coins were issued by Conrad Conradty of Rothenbach:
2500 pieces of the 100m coin were made
2500 pieces of the 500m coin were made
3500 pieces of the 1000m coin were made

When I was researching these pieces, I made a table to record the coins' diameters, thicknesses, scratched in serial numbers and weights. These coins should always be blackgrey in colour. It is not known how many of these coins still exist today. I hope this is useful to somebody. Notgeld coins, as I have said in a previous post, are not really my real passion or expertise. I collect most types of notgeld including the unusual material pieces.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2963 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a handful of notgeld pieces for a very different reason: many of them show a return to a medieval form of showing the patron saint of the city which issued them.

Not a fit on this thread, but another interesting collecting angle.
Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 11:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7542 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only metal and porcelain notgeld pieces, from Germany, France, and Dakar Senegal. I'd certainly like to have a compressed coal dust coin, but don't want to pay for it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
272 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  06:57 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notgeld showing the patron saint of the city........that would make a nice article. I'm aware of a lot of notes with medieval knights and castles etc but hadn't thought about the patron saint angle. Very specific but I like that.......I'll have a think and see if anything comes of it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05