Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible New 1978 Penny Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Guitardoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found a 1978 penny where there is a number where w should be in in God we trust is this a new error

Edited by Guitardoe
01/21/2020 04:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gd, first welcome to CCF. Second, it looks like you were trying to upload a pic of your coin, but it didn't quite work. Here is a link to the tutorial. I look forward to seeing what you have!

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok super--that worked and your picture is now up. That helps a ton. It looks to me like the letter W took a hit (or multiple hits) which have moved around some of the metal into a mostly 8-shaped design. Sorry but this isn't a mint error.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7884 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.

Agree, it is just damage.
What you are saying is impossible to happen during the striking
of the coin. Numbers and letters do not just suddenly appear.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guitardoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok post mint how how is it done
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like contact marks on the W of WE. The overall condition of the coin make me think it's a "cup holder" coin or it may have been buried for a time. That's why the surfaces look so rough.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42172 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two contact marks left bomb craters with the metal pushing away from the ground zero zone. Just well placed damage on those areas.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1776 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I'd love to see a clear photo of this coin, from what I see I have to agree... PMD.

to the CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05