Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 D LWC. Let Me Know If You Guys See MD Or DD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Djrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Hello everyone found this coin and was wondering what your thoughts are trying to get more familiar with the difference between MD and DD. Thank you

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32084 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like circulation flattening to me making the lettering look thick.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44995 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
too (three?).
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Djrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...sorry some of you guys make me laugh I'm NOT NAME DROPPING EITHER. Look I understand this is a forum of advice and not stone written but for so called experts some of you either have not a clue what your talking about or just don't care because it's not yours or someone's you know. I took this coin to a shop last year and got it verified I just haven't had the opportunity to send it off for personal reasons. This is the third time I have posted a coin that I KNOWN IS A DD And the same people said the same thing. The first one I bought from a pawn shop and broke the case posted the coin and got the same answers and the second I copied one of the confirmed dd from a post that we will leave anonymous lightened the pic and turned it and guess WHAT....u got it same old it's me or a smushed circ or something else anyway my point is that if your going to be the go too in this forum take the time to LLLOOOOOKKKKK at the coin or whatever the individual takes the time to post is all I'm asking. You can get all butt hurt and ban me or whatever you guys feel but just know I'm not the only one by all means that feels this way just the one that doesn't have a problem saying it. Now do me a huge favor and save me the time of circling the photo and cropping it please. Take the second 5 drop and rotate right with your decades of knowledge and tell me I'm wrong. Again not being rude just STATING FACTS....
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Djrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give or take a few degrees but that's the 5 I was referring to again it is not exact but a good reference. When I get it back I will post it for you guys.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Djrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gentleman said it could possibly be a triple strike but couldn't and wouldn't say for sure. People are discovering new coins every day so I guess to summarize everything I spoke about I would just like the experts in this forum to keep an open mind and study and you're the best with what you have to look at and give your honest opinion as opposed to just glancing and going off past experiences. Have a great night everyone
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32084 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at least we are consistent
How about sending all three coins to PCGS and let us know what they say. Before sending them, please post pics of the obverse and reverse of each coin.After you get the coins back,post pics of them in the slab. Oh,just incase you don't know I am wrong 20% of the time and admit it here on CCF all the time.The go to guy WADR is Mike Diamond,PM him if you want to.
John1
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Djrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get but hurt big guy. I never said anyone specifically but I guess I intentionally ruffled those guilt feathers....lol..jk man relax you know I'm 1000 percent right and that's all that matters.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32084 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No feathers ruffled. Going by the photos you posted,I stand by my comment.I will wait and see what PCGS has to tell you.
John1
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CouchDiver1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the OP... It may be time to upgrade your method of acquiring your images because they're pretty bad. If you expect people to confirm things that you already know might want to invest a little bit of money and a USB microscope or at least to Hastings triplet and used in combination with a cell phone camera.
Edited by CouchDiver1978
01/22/2020 09:22 am
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the photos stand, I'm not seeing what Djrob sees. I have 3+ tubes full of 55Ds which bear close resemblance to them. If we were all in the same room and could examine the coin in-hand under magnification, could be a different story. At this point, I'd encourage Djrob to send the coin(s) off for certification/grading, then share the results with us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So nice of you to post blurry images of a well-circulated coin and ask an ambiguous question without specifics just to say "gotcha" on a coin that does have all the aforementioned problems.

Whether there is a secondary 5 on this coin is doubtful but you have it in hand and are obviously the expert so you must be right.

ps. There was a reason you heard crickets after your "biiiiig" reveal. There are a lot of people who are sincere in their request for help. We start with that premise and let the OP's respond.
7 years back in it for me and I still get stuff incorrect. You method of contributing is absolutely wrong and helps no one. It just makes people avoid your posts and that's a shame because eventually, they might be helpful.
ps.Don't take this the wrong way because it's only meant to be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3432 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the doubling. Looks like circulation flattening. Maybe a TPG will see it differently. If you send them off, good luck.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25195 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, what a joke! Djrob yelling at us, because he didn't get the answer he wanted. Not what he wanted to here. You're full of it pal.

You would of been better off not to ask for help, since your attitude is bad and stinks.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Edited by Errers and Varietys
01/22/2020 10:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the third time I have posted a coin that I KNOWN IS A DD

Well, if you "KNOWN" it, why did you ask us?

If you send this into PCGS (and I doubt you will) it would be a total waste of money.

Quote:
I took this coin to a shop last year and got it verified

Did you buy this coin from them, or just got it "verified" there? I'd be looking for a new coin shop.

You drew out the "5" you wanted us to see with a big red pen, but even with you pointing it out, we still couldn't see it.

So once again I have to wonder, if you KNEW about your coin, why show us crappy photos and then yell at us for being unable to read your mind?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05