Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elizabeth I Sixpence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would somebody in the Coin Community be able to provide some kind of grade and value to the attached 1574 Elizabeth I sixpence? Frank

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7508 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to be in much better shape than any of my Elizabethan 6-pence coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16437 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everything that is expressed in the link.

Fakes abound, and it is definitely worthwhile to check for authenticity,
when all of the facial features of Elizabeth 1 are depicted as shown on this coin.

I notice that only the last two digits on this coin are visible, but it appears to be mostly unclipped.

Still, it would turn out to e quite valuable, if it proves to be authentic. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on this series, and have to rely on the expertise of the dealer, from whom my two examples of Elizabeth 1 coinage came.

The facial features as shown on this coin are way superior to those on my two examples.
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can one check for authenticity, save weighing the thing? The UK eBay seller (has been an eBay member since March 2006 and has 100% positive feedback) said he unearthed it with his metal detector.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this coin has a chance of being graded in the XF range. This 1574 graded XF45 sold for $650 recently.
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...dd118f3994f4

I would guess a deeper search would find more examples at the major UK and US auction houses, and give more data on the possible value.

This one loses a little for the incomplete date , but unmarred portraits of Elizabeth get a pretty good premium best I can tell, so if the eBay price isn't at least 250 pounds, I would be very suspicioius. AND this does not look to me like a coin that was unearthed.

If the moderators move this thread to the UK section, I think you will get comments from more members here who know UK coins well.

Edited by tdziemia
01/22/2020 06:28 am
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best offer price was 72 pounds (GBP's)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If authentic, I think you got a great deal.

Looking again, maybe there has been a bit of clipping compared to the coin in the link I posted? Still, the portrait is lovely, and the condition is great for that price.

My wife has an ELizabeth shilling on her "want list." I will need to save up quite a bit more for that.
Edited by tdziemia
01/22/2020 4:00 pm
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a reasonable, at least in my estimation, Elizabeth I (1592-1595) shilling with Tun mint mark that I could let go.
Valued Member
New Zealand
70 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good VF with a weak strike

Coins of this era were hammered and thus weak strikes common.

Lots of detail, but flattening on the Queen's hair strands.

For the era and type, it is a very good example - however I am slightly unsure about its genuinity.

If it was uneartherd with a detector - its too clean, either it was not unearthed by a metal detector or it was cleaned afterwards. This story leads me to suggest it could be a fake.

Elizabeth coins are made out of good silver (.916 fine at least) and will not be magnetic, a 6d should weigh around 3 - 3.5 grams. (I am assuming you are not American and use metric weights).
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon my uneducated question, but how would two numbers of the date be completely removed without having more of a uniform wear pattern around the date? Silver's soft, but come now, sterling issues of the past century show more of a uniform wear pattern.
Valued Member
New Zealand
70 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin was hammer struck both sides. Could have been struck on the reverse last against a die which could have been punched harder on obverse side.

Other solution, the die with the date and left side of shield had worn off through repetitive strikings. This could have been the 10,000th coin struck with the same die.

Hand hammered coins used a very crude and basic technology and quality control was near zilch (Moneyer assizes were common in this era). Better quality coins in the UK only come with milled coins in the 1660s and the coins you are referring too, maybe machine struck ones that are perfectly round and well centered - made generally after the early 19th century (1816 in the UK)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18932 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking EF coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05