Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan 1882 O Dollar Weird Halo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Acme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen tons of Morgan silver dollars probably 1000s but I have never seen a Morgan dollar ever look like this and I've seen tons.This coin it stuck out like a sore thumb at an estate sale based coin/antique shop where the owners are semi ignorant about the coins they have because they dabble into to many types of collectable items. Any help would be great and yes this is a legit coin I've searched vams and details and weight to make sure it is real and it is 100% real right down to the die cracks on the left wing between the d and the s so no questions there. See picture.... Notice this weird Hallo on the coin...under the chin the nose it's really shinny not tooled or polished or scratched on it's a real mint mistake as in the fact it's not supposed to look this way at all. I have seen this on Kennedys but never a Morgan.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7976 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post an image of the entire coin? It looks cleaned from the pics provided.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
4710 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to Community

As mentioned , a full view image will be very helpful.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's called "Beveling".
Some area such as below the chin and below tail feather are sometime were polished/grind down to remove imperfection caused by clashing or others creating the beveled surface.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9144 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with AU90o..

If you could post a decent image of the mint mark area it may help to narrow down which die pairing ( VAM) it is. There is a nice guide to do so on the '82-O VAMworld page.

And to the CCF!
Member SSDC, TNA
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Acme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1882-O VAM-54 Doubled Date, Beveled Obverse Field at Rim just found it mhm very interesting
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Acme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bbP6Xkm7c lol posted this before I found out what exactly it is ha funny stuff long video but it's good education on some cool vams !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05