Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Flying Eagle Cent!! To Clean Or Not To Clean (Please Help!)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,447Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
57 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  02:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Ive recently came into possession of a Flying Eagle penny (1858) that has, I believe, very FINE details but its just so.......dirty.

Can anyone advise me with what they think is the best thing to do? obviously I want there to be an appeal (I am currently eh about how it is so grimy looking) to the coin but I also don't want to lower its value. Please help!

Thank you for your time!!

CH

Btw... this has been my dream coin for a while now! This is the first one I have ever gotten so I am excited

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17429 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand the reason for the question.
Quite grotty because it appears to be not much different from a brown / black disk.
Nevertheless, almost everybody will say:-
"Don't clean this coin!!"

If still tempted, try VeriCare.

If you are still really serious and anxious about this coin, research all the Google sites relating to:-
'Restoration of ancient bronze coins',
you may find a method here,
BUT there are always risks, and you could end up doing much more harm than good.

The restoration of ancient bronze coin is always lottery, but there is more upside than downside, otherwise museums would not attempt to do so.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36063 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your title is wrong,it is a 1858 not 1885. Please crop and rotate photos properly before posting in the future...thanks.
Before you try to clean it wait for a bunch more replies.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/24/2020 05:21 am
Learn More...
United States
17423 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also don't want to lower its value.

Then don't clean it. I'd leave this one "as-is". grimy = well-loved!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19681 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only form of cleaning would be with Acetone. You might want to use the Search tab on this forum for Acetone, coin cleaning, etc. Cleaning coins is usually not a good thing. Best leave old coins alone.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51272 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Carl - little can be done at this point to help this coin. Leave well enough alone.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3511 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  09:53 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has severe environmental damage , probably a ground dig at one time .
Don't bother messing with it . Beyond conservation!
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your title is wrong,it is a 1858 not 1885
Fixed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14175 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forget about any attempted cleaning of this coin . When you clean copper and bronze coins you have virtually signed their death certificate . Just leave this coin be until you can upgrade to a better one .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it in its current condition without cleaning it. It's a 162 year old coin and you should appreciate it for what it is.

Keep in mind that it's your 'dream coin' and you don't want to make it any worse by cleaning it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
speaking words of wisdom...Let it be...Let it be....
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just make sure you use a very fine wire brush on your bench grinder when you destroy your coins.
Learn More...
United States
17423 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a little snarky for here on CCF @fcd. Better is to be nice to folks who are new here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7548 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
speaking words of wisdom...Let it be...Let it be...

LOL my boss blasts this song once a day.

Quote:
That is a little snarky for here on CCF @fcd. Better is to be nice to folks who are new here.

Agreed. Poor taste.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14175 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thanks for all the replies (and the sass). As of now I am not sure if I want to keep it because a part of me feels like I paid more for it than its worth. If you guys were to give a value, how much do you think it sold for? I am very undecided.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,447Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05