Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Condition Question Of 1880-O Morgan Unofficially Id'ed As XF

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  10:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all...I picked up this 1880-O Morgan, which was in a Littleton Coin Company Cello. You can see it notes a XF condition.

I purchased it because I did not think this coin was fairly identified as XF, and looking through the cello, I saw a better coin than that for $45, IMO.

So opening it and in my hands it is a nice Morgan. Subtle Gold tones and a few others. Really nice. Maybe not a GEM due to some imperfections, but not an XF condition. Meh...I could be wrong, but that's why I am here. The pictures actually make it look worse than what I am seeing in hand/magnified. What say you fine folks?

As a bonus....A gift from my adult children. They nailed it.

Edited by BuyGuns
01/25/2020 03:46 am
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely better than XF. High AU to MS. The reverse strike looks really good for an "O". But might be a details coin. Looks like some scratches in the fields to the right of liberties head.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lanceK...I hear ya. Better than XF. I also thought high AU or lower MS. So a good buy (if not cleaned). As far as cleaning...in hand, and under magnification, I just don't see it. Random and many directions. No real patterns of say a wire brush or scrub pad. The hairline scratches I think are from some use over the decades. Some bag marks, etc.

BUT...I would NEVER say it is 100% not cleaned. Out of the myriad of coins I compared as graded DETAILS (to educate myself), some were obvious, but many were I just don't see what they were saying. Probably a well cleaned coin that the TPG's sniffed some chemicals on, and hence the Details grades. I don't know. Even the coins I have that I will have graded, I would not be shocked if some came back Details, though I see nothing to indicate that on the ones I have piled up for grading.

I do my best to stay away from any coin that smacks even a little of cleaning, but it is not always obvious, especially these days with more sophisticated methods and technique. Anyway.....appreciate the input.
Edited by BuyGuns
01/25/2020 03:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32015 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not trust Littleton,they usually over grade and over charge.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea John1. Seen their coins around and I agree. This one just happen to be available by a seller who happen to have just this one Littleton for sale. It's not from Littleton directly. Got it for the reasons stated and I am not disappointed. Someone missed it on this one calling it XF, but I agree Littleton I think is more for general coin interest and serious coin folks probably don't go there much. But again, on this one Morgan, I stumbled on to it. Very nice sample. Ok. Thx.
Edited by BuyGuns
01/25/2020 05:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not trust Littleton,they usually over grade and over charge.

They're expensive for sure, but very few people would agree that they over grade. Their reputation has generally been that you'll have to pay a high price but it will be what they say it is
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44902 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, Littleton's coins are usually clean and conservatively graded, though often terribly expensive. It's all the other junk they sell that makes me just hate this company. Gold-plated worn Buffalo nickles, anyone?
Edited by Coinfrog
01/25/2020 12:03 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm....an education on Littleton. I'm sold. lol Well...as far as overpriced, I don't know as I never purchased from them directly. Seen their coins touted and the novelty like coins mentioned by Coinfrog. Just felt they were appealing to the unwashed masses, but basebal21 points out they are conservative (as coinfrog does) and may be worth a look if they have what you need, even at a premium. So I digress. Just for my own knowledge bank I'm going to pop over to their site and see what they are offering. Focus a bit more so I don't again flap my lips further with bad information.

But with regard to the 'conservative' grading point? You can't get any more conservative calling this 1880-O XF. lol. Seriously folks, I'm even ignoring my pictures above, for the more I look at this fella in hand and various lights, I am amazed that this was called XF. For a New Orleans mint, Clean, Bright Luster, sharp Reverse (and Obverse really) and subtle iridescent toning. The imperfections in my pictures are overblown. Meaning, in hand they are barely discernable. Nice eye appeal.

XF = Xtra Funds..... Haha Just kidding. Staying with me!

I already posted a different 1880-O beginning of January and it is a GEM IMO. Others agreed it was a nice coin, calling a potential MS-65 (if true, PCGS price is ridiculously high...I hope. lol). But this one here is growing on me. It may end up filling the Morgan spot for the Morgan denomination build up, and the other getting graded for my grading pile effort.

All in all both coins costing a combined ~$100, not too bad. If the one grades MS-65, that is at least three college text books for my grand kids. Not bad.

Hope all here on CC are well and ready for a coin filled year. And health and happiness as well of course.
Edited by BuyGuns
01/26/2020 01:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7996 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Littleton sells coins for a higher price, but they also pay more than a lot of other places. The catch is that they are VERY picky and they will send a lot of stuff back when dealers ship to them.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: I did go to Littleton and dug through their site. I was wrong implying that they are a general coin site and not a serious contender, as they actually seem serious about their trade, with what they describe as a very strict grading standard. Don't know of other big name sellers that do that. Hmmm. Pulled up their grading policy and it is quite a detailed effort. So that's a good thing. They actually hire professional graders it looks like to ensure accuracy.

The subject coin I posted here was seriously graded conservatively. Too much IMO. BUT again....they may see something this mere mortal does not. And being still a CCF 'Pebble of the Community', I will digress and trust their judgement.

They do have the novelty items quite a bit. Understood that does not appeal to some. But for the masses that just want 'cool' looking coins I guess it's ok. Better some interest than none.

And they do have the large selection of coins we all look for. The only thing I don't like, similar to some sellers such as AMPEX, is offer coins at all levels of condition, BUT, not show the exact coin you will get. Just stock photos. I will not buy a coin I can't see, unless it is a common coin that may be good enough to fill a missing date, etc. But even then I am not a fan of 'mystery' coins as I call them.

However, out of curiosity, I may test that theory and get a needed coin they claim is a particular condition and see what I get. Then post the results here. Could be a good source if all this strict standard/quality stuff is consistent and true. It may be a good way to get coins you need with a healthy degree of confidence they will be genuine, not tampered with, as expected or better.

I did see that if a coin is graded and bagged (cello), they identify certain things such as this coin I posted. "#2 Quality". That was on this coins cello bag. Looked it up on their grading policy. It means a number of things but one is the coin may have been lightly cleaned. Alarms went off. Lol. Not that a coin was cleaned, but could be. This one looks safe but I still wonder.

So overall...not bad IMHO.

Coinfrog, I must confess, I was digging through my hoard (lol), and stumbled upon 20 MS condition Jefferson nickels that are 24kt Gold plated. lol. I thought of you. I had a vision of a kid in front of the Principal getting the riot act on his mangey coins he brought to school. lol

I forgot that I had ordered them a couple years ago when I started this coin adventure. No idea why I did, because today I would not do that. I guess at the time I just thought, as many probably do, they were cool. And inexpensive. Haha. I don't know. Got on eBay, not Littleton, though probably sourced from them. Maybe. But they ARE cool. Promise I won't do it again. lol

Onward.....

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in my LCS today and the lady ahead of me was THRILLED that she could get her Sacagewea dollars cheaper there than through Littleton. She had some big gaps in her collection due to her husbands illness. (yes, I got to hear most of her life story). The owner showed she could buy a mint set, break out the dollar she wanted for her album, put the other coins in flips and she would pay less than she had been paying for just the dollar. So yeah, they sound expensive.

I've always equated them to Franklin mint. Cheesy gimmicky coins like colorized SAEs. I also equated them with over grading, and that may have been a mistake. Did an ebay search. Found 2 Morgans and 3 or 4 Peace dollars that seemed a lit like the OPs coin. XF on the label but an AU to MS coin. Of course with the white label covering half the coin, who knows. But half of one side and all of the other, looked pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5144 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a gold half eagle in a Littleton envelope; it was graded AU-50. I thought it was pretty solid for AU-58 with bright original luster and few marks. That's one indication of conservative grading from Littleton.
The OP's Morgan is likewise undergraded. It's at least AU-55 IMO and the minor scratches are not severe enough to prompt a details grade. No indication of improper cleaning, either. Nice coin!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lancek...that was my exact scenario before I decided to take a chance on this Morgan. That white half label covered the mid to lower face/jaw area, which we know can be brutalized over time. And the seller did not attempt to spin the coin in the cello for a full coverage view. But based on the other 75% being what I thought was much better than XF, I assumed the rest would be the same. I assumed correctly. Yes, not perfect. Issues are amplified in my pictures. Just an in-hand look makes you go what a nice MS Morgan. So it seems Littleton does grade conservatively. Jaobler seems in that camp.

But...they may be thinking if a person buys expecting an assigned grade condition, and gets way better...a return customer is born. lol So it may be part of their strategy of keeping folks coming back. Got me interested. Been looking at Littleton coins now where I did not before. The ones that folks already have and want to part with. So hey. I wonder if their stock photo coins are much better than the grade one may buy? They call it a MS-64. You get a MS-66? I noted I may give it a test run. Will report back if I do. All part of the hunt. Onward...
Edited by BuyGuns
01/29/2020 01:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19101 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice original AU-55.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05