Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very Interesting 20c 2014. Multiple Errors. Or PMD. Need Help Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  09:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody, I found this 20c a few days. Have gone through a few coin groups I am in on Facebook.
And it is all mixed, as to PMD or a genuine error.
The coin weighs 11.34g. I also weighed a few other 20c and they weighed, sort of between 11.32-11.33g.
The coin, tails side. Does seem slightly taller then a standard 20c.
When side by side with a 20c, they line up together to the rim.
When a standard coin is on top, the error coin is slightly larger in diameter.
It is a real head scratch! Would anybody here be able to me please:)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
7958 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Could you take a picture of the edge.
May be a partial collar strike.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it isn't a partial collar. I found a 20c partial, and it is completely different. I am currently not at home. I have got alot of photos. But I am struggling, to try and get them uploaded on here.
If you have Facebook, I have posted in a couple of groups, with a fair few photos.
I will try and get better images when I am home. Or can send images via email if needed.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1445 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say from the photo but it looks like it was partially struck out of collar.
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone did mention to me that it could be a collar engagement error?
I am ised to seeing a lot of error coins that are PMD. But this one has me bamboozled, as well as other people who have seen images.

I will try and get pics when I am home. I have a fair few on my phone. If any other photos are needed. I could try and get photos of what people would like to see, to make it easier

Valued Member
Australia
266 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hard to say from the photo but it looks like it was partially struck out of collar.

That would explain why the diameter is slightly larger
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1445 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but I can't quite figure out how the details on the coin are fine, part of the rim is okay and the diameter is bigger - if half the collar was missing but I don't think that could happen.
Learn More...
Australia
13262 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me exactly the same kind of damage that occurs on coins that have been inserted into a tourist/good luck piece. I've seen it a lot on American cents; never on a coin as large as an Australian 20.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewAussieCollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SAP
Hmm, I have never seen one of those either. I might have to have a look at other coins similar.
I am very knew to the world of coin collecting. About 12-16 months I have started collecting and noodling.
But this particular coin has had some good discussions. On what it actually could be. I have been told things like, could be a bigger foreign planchet, that has created the die for the tails side and the rim & collar has just been miss machined.
Coin has been lodged/syuck in a part of the minting process, and then has somehow been displaced and caused the error.
Collar misangement error?
Or, to just send it of to PCGS and see if they can come back with anything, although it would cost $120 to do that.
But a few people, cant work out. How at the minting process could a coin like this get through the checks.
Or someone has really done a good coin in a back shed, making it a rather spectacular PMD coin.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05