Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Breaking SBA 1981 S T2 NGC PF69 Uc To Make Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

So I'm at that crossroads where I buy a slabbed coin for a Dansco album and now having my doubts.

I am going to break this to make a set of SBAs but maybe I can get my money back at a local dealer and get a decent one for my Dansco. Most in the dansco are au/ms/pf but not a 69 so this would be the best and hardest to get.

I think its worth it to complete the set and scratch the SBAs off the list. Here is the coin and I will post the SBAs in the album later.

Thanks,
Dyno

Edited by Dynotech
01/25/2020 3:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1688 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It shouldn't be extremely hard to find one nearly as nice raw. These come very high grade.

Of course raw specimens are not that easy and a lot of PR-68 or better get submitted.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its done. I didnt pay that much for it and I just saved the tag. Onto other things.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44661 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll never understand your decision in a million years, but that's just me. Toss the tag - it's useless now.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll never understand your decision in a million years, but that's just me.

I have been in the same situation before, do I break the slab to fill a spot in the album? Keeping the coin in the slab usually would win.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its in a Dansco, in well regulated area. So it should age well and I can see it with the rest. Its more satisfying to me to compete the set then look at an open hole. I tried to find one at local shops and online and this was the best option I could find. This is why I try to avoid slabbed coins. In this case I found I couldn't.

I know this is cringing to some of you but now I am done done with SBAs. Moving on.

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well might as well show the filled holes:

High bandwidth warning:

Thanks,
Dyno
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know this is cringing to some of you but now I am done done with SBAs.

You do what you gotta do, more power to you. I have been known to crack a slab or two.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll never understand your decision in a million years, but that's just me. Toss the tag - it's useless now.

Politely understood.

I think I will keep the tag. I broke mint sets(which are harder sometimes). First for breaking a slab though and a PF69 non the less. But yea the tag is in the dansco and staying there, I know it means nothing. Other than the determined intent to complete a set.

Thanks,
Dyno
Pillar of the Community
United States
1612 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For this particular coin, I don't think I would have broken a slab either, but I have done so for other sets, and it's worth keeping the label for reference. Sure, it may have cost a little more, but sometimes it's worth that little extra for the feeling of satisfaction.

On to the next set...
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've broken most slabs to get a coin out BUT, they weren't MS69. There comes a grade that I would just pick up another coin. I have a few high grade slabs for common date coins. Even though I didn't pay much, the grade was high enough that I kept the slab, but 99% of my coins are raw and unslabbed. But on the other hand I hate having holes in my albums also. Although I don't collect error coins so for some of the holes I put in high grade coins of the same series (example for the bison nickels I put in the proof 2005 bison nickel from the west ward series.
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its in a Dansco, in well regulated area. So it should age well and I can see it with the rest.
I have been using Dansco albums for 35 years now. No complaints.

Quote:
Well might as well show the filled holes:
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You made the right choice for yourself.

What more is there?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep my SBA set in a PCGS blue box, not nearly as attractive or easy to view as your Dansco album. Congratulations on completing a beautiful set!
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dynotech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As high as res it is the pics still don't do it justice. Still working on getting lighting right or remove sleeves to prevent glare. .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05