Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint 1968 D Quarter, 1968 D Dime, 1968 D Kennedy Half & 1967 LMC Why?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  01:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i chose to post this here because I need answers as to why someone would take the time to create something like this & precisely place theses coins & get everything perfect. and then screw up by putting the wrong penny in there. why is the penny the only oddity? every other coin is a 1968 minted in Denver except the penny. it doesn't make any sense to me. then I had a thought that maybe it was one of those errors where a 68 penny with a 67 design or something of that nature. please somebody have an answer to this because its driving me crazy. sorry for the pics but its difficult since the display is so reflective. also I have no history on this item.
thanks in advance

Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool paper weight. I would guess they did not have a 68 cent to use so said gotta sink um before it dry's so they used what they had. Or simply grabbed the wrong coin.
Edited by Daves Errors
01/26/2020 02:53 am
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nah that penny has to have a purpose for being there other than oh crap where did I put that 68 penny lol I did find out that in 67 Philadelphia mint was the only mint that put out any pennies that year for whatever reason. But I don't see that having anything to do with the rest of the 1968 denver mints in there. But you may be right I might just be a paperweight and a cool one at that but I'm not banking on that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1606 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some possibilities: 1) simple human error of the 'oops' variety, 2) knowingly placed the '67 cent because he/she didn't have a '68, 3) knowingly placed the '67 just to mess with people years later.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or simply grabbed the wrong coin.

It was probably an O-crap moment. The only person that knows why it was put in there is the person that made it.
There's a lot of these paper weights for sale on eBay. Yours might bring a little more for being an oddity if you ever decide to sell it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Lu...AOSwz1pdq9Dc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cl...AOSwzhpd3wPR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Un...AOSwlTheEhoW
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jsertl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to steal it in order to sell it because it's not mine it's a friend of mine he's had it since he was a kid doesn't remember where he got it from and he is 58 years old so I think he predates eBay LOL
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SinisterOneToo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one I found says it's a 67 set yet you can plainly see the nickel is a 66.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fl...AOSwUeBd6oWf
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DUDE are you for real,you said >>> I had to steal it in order to sell it because it's not mine it's a friend of mine he's had it since he was a kid doesn't remember where he got it from and he is 58 years old so I think he predates eBay LOL.

The only thing I can say after what you just said >>> WOW I am SO HAPPY I don't have friends like you. SHAME ON YOU >>
Edited by Daves Errors
01/26/2020 11:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
also I have no history on this item.

You say you have no history on the item and then you say

Quote:
I had to steal it in order to sell it because it's not mine it's a friend of mine he's had it since he was a kid doesn't remember where he got it from and he is 58 years old so I think he predates eBay LOL

Your making yourself look really bad in this thread
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the coins are normal and the design of the capsule distorts the coins when view from the top of the coin. (Curved surfaces) The bottom is flat and doesn't distort the coins. Ball shaped top, flat on the bottom.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05