Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1627 Georg Wilhelm Silver Coin Value?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 714Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I recently won this coin at an auction but am now very unsure about its value. Many sources are just inconsistent with each other. Would anyone be able to provide me with their thoughts/info?

All I know about this is that it is a 'GEORG WILHELM SILVER SOLIDUS DATED 1627 Brandenburg-Prussia'

Thanks!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you won it at an auction, it is worth what you just paid for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is more info, but you really need an expert in German/Prussian coins to give you an "expert" answer.

There are two varieties of this 1627 solidus/schilling. I am not sure how that affects the value. I, too can find auction results ranging from about $12 for an EF example, to $60 to $100 for stronger examples. There was an MS63 example that sold for 35 euro at Marciniak in October, but in my opinion, yours has better eye appeal (stronger strike?).

My Two Cents' worth: if you got it for $50 or less, you did well. If you paid over $100, you probably could have done better if you had done your research (did you?).

Regardless, it's a beautiful example of this coin, and I would be proud to have it!
Edited by tdziemia
01/27/2020 9:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, thanks so much for the response! I did notice some of those low prices you mentioned hence my concern! And I DID get it for $50. Will probably keep it. It is pretty darn cool!
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I researched it beforehand but values were unclear!!

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One should always take generalizations with a grain of salt, but I will offer one here anyhow: at this price point, if you win an eBay coin auction with active bidding, it usually means you've done OK.

For what it's worth ... Several world coin collectors out here on CCF have these types from 17th century Central/Eastern Europe in our collections. They were produced in enormous quantities in places like Poland, Lithuania and Livonia, and can be found in nice grade for very reasonable prices. I think in German states they tend to be a bit more expensive, either because they were produced in smaller quantitiy (supply), or because there are more collectors of German coins (demand).

If you are OK with small coins, you could build an interesting collection just with coins like this.

Edited by tdziemia
01/29/2020 10:39 pm
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible to buy similar coins by the price from 3 to 6 USD in Polish online auctions https://allegro.pl/zakonczone?strin...uni-1-1-1127
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@giedrius, you know these coins better than I do, but I also saw this example in the WCN archive that sold near $70 (and I think similar grade to the poster's purchase). https://wcn.pl/archive/178115?q=1627+prusy+
But also nice examples at WCN selling at $10.

Hence my comment on some different varieties and a range of values. But I do not have the catalogs to understand the different varieties. And good to see you!
Edited by tdziemia
01/31/2020 5:41 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 714Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05