Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-S Ike Dollar Found In Afghanistan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jerryatric2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in Afghanistan does anyone know what it goes for

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44968 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking just face value.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1971-S Eisenhower dollar should be 40% silver and be worth silver melt
Tim Hughes
Learn More...
United States
82670 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find. Either it has some crazy environmental damage or it is not genuine.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16477 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color looks 'off'.
Weight and ping tone needs checking.

Might be a fake to fool local Afghanis, perhaps taken there by an American Serviceman.
Just a thought.
Edited by sel_69l
01/28/2020 5:18 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13262 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the colour, I'm guessing a locally-made brass fake. Afghanistan has a booming trade in fake coins, sold to the foreigners who don't know any better.

If they can make it for less than a dollar and sell it to you for a dollar, that's profit for them. And perfectly legal, too.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16254 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a blatant fake. Appears to be pot metal.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an article in a newspaper a while back about Afghanistan bazaar merchants selling fake silver coins to American military personnel.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16477 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that they would have trouble selling very obviously fake American coins to American servicemen, would be familiar with their own coins!

A bit like trying to sell ice to Inuits.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16254 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually they may not have much trouble at all. How old is the average serviceman? 18 to 24 years old? They haven't made Ike dollars in 40 years. There is a very good chance that the servicemen have never seen a real one. Before you ever got interested in coins, do you think you would have been able to spot a fake Peace dollar? Also consider that these servicemen are young enough that they may have never seen or handled real silver coins.

How many stories have we seen of cahiers not recognizing 2 dollar bills, Kennedy halves or even president/NA dollars? And those are current coins, no something than ended when their grandparents were young.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
01/29/2020 12:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2791 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jerryatric2- I'm just tried to send you a message, but it states that you do not wish to receive emails. I'm interested in this Ike as an educational piece.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
01/30/2020 09:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19079 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And welcome to the world of coinage.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. Looks like a fake. Every Business strike that I have ever seen thats been fake has always had this look. THey also carry the Peg leg R
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2020  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrDusty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69I Frankly...you'd be surprised. Every time I think I won't run into another Zincer Cent with a copper bubble in Facebook groups for a day or two I end up seeing 1000 more.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05