Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Athens Tetradrach,

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 855Next Topic  

Sweden
1 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Klocka to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am soon buying my first ancient Tetradracm coin. Does the coin in the picture seem OK - genuine? And the condition of it? I am very new to this.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35505 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Don't buy it until members comment.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23213 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

It could just be the pictures, so lets see what others will say. IMO it does not look genuine, this type is copied often so you have to be careful where you buy them from. If the coin comes from an established dealer like those on Vcoins chances are that the coin would be genuine.

However if you are buying from an unknown seller or on eBay you have to be very,very careful.
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1729 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No comment as to authenticity, however, this coin is faked so much, I can't imagine it not being in a slab if it were authentic. Not saying it isn't authentic, just be very cautious.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17276 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK, but pictures by themselves are not really good enough. Previous posters are right - one of the most widely faked of all ancient coins. Superbly excellent fakes exist.
Syle OK, what is the weight? Need to some pictures of the edge.

The seller needs to have
1. A widely known excellent professional reputation, if not, but preferably also,
2. an independently provable provenance, not just his own made-up story.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few "pimples" on the face that look like casting bubbles, which would make it a modern counterfeit. The lips and the owl's eyes don't look typical of the Greek coins either.

These coins have been imitated for thousands of years. Here's an interesting link on ancient imitations which look more like yours.

http://rg.ancients.info/owls/imitations.html
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
01/29/2020 7:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17276 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XRF surface metal analysis can sometimes be of help.
Modern struck and cast copies can be made of good quality silver, but the problem is that the silver is a modern two or three metal alloy, with silver as the highest proportion.

The ancients could only refine their silver to a maximum of around 97% fine, the rest is a wide variety of natural junk minerals and metals.
It is the analysis of the 3% that you look at, in particular the range of trace elements, not the silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A debased silver alloy might be useful for the ancient imitations.

Picked up an elephant quadriga. NGC, excellent strike on the elephants.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
01/30/2020 12:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17276 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, the Athenians did, in fact, debase some of their silver coins at various times.

With XRF, it is still the range of junk minerals and trace metals that you look for, instead of the copper or silver.
However, XRF should not be relied upon entirely.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 855Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05