Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1909 S/S/S Philippine Peso (Au+ Details?)!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  6:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wesley1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
Back around April 2019, I posted a picture of a Philippines Peso I had recently purchased that turned out to be a scarce S/S/S variety. I recently won an auction of a 1909 peso that looked like another triple horn, high grade details. It just arrived today, and I was correct. VERY high grade details with some shallow pitting in certain areas of the field, but a gorgeous matte finish and almost no pitting on devices. Looks like whoever salvaged the coin was smart enough to avoid the wire brush, but was willing to sacrifice mint luster to save the coun from further corrosion by over dipping (?). Feel free to examine the photos and offer your opinions. If I am right, then my $21.01 cost was well worth it. Would this be NGC worthy, even as a deyails coin, or would you recommend ANACS. I have an ANA membership, so both are an option. Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
31848 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like MD and DDD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesley1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1,

Appreciate the response, and while the "ghosting" at the bottom of the mm supports your assertion, just for the sake of argument let's examine the following photos. Pic 1 is of an example of DDD taken from Google. Notice how the "doubling" is lower than the rest of the device. Pic two is of the "S" mm on my Peso. Pic 3 is a screenshot of a certified S/S/S Peso from PCGS CoinFacts. Notice how both the doubled serifs at the bottom of both MMs as well as the "triple horns" at the top are not only level, they are in exactly the same location on the MMs. Again, while the "ghosting" is likely caused by ejection/deteriorated die, it seems a stretch to explain the matchup of the identifying features of the triple S, but after 38 years of collecting, I am well aware of the tendency to engage in wishful thinking, so if I'm incorrect, so be it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin has both a RPM and Die Deterioration Doubling.

Your original photos show the Die Deterioration Doubling a bit more prominently than the RPM.

Very nice find!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesley1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TanMan2001,
Thanks!I only looked at about 500 coins over the past year to find this one, LOL. Would've been nice if it had been S/S. Then I would've had a "full house".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2597 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it as a S over S RPM and not the S/S/S as you have it in your title. As far as grading goes, I feel it's always the owners call, but if mine?...no
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wesley1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GreasyFingers,
Thanks... looking at it again, you may be right, in which case I have the full variety set.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05