Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar 15 Starts..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thebeat69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'am a new member and new to coins,I'll appreciate any information,recently inherited a few coins,this one is a 1799 Draped Bust silver dollar without the Liberty stamp,can't find any information,photos attach,,,THANK YOU..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3155 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

We would love to help but there is not much we can do without pictures.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thebeat69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44837 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show your images right-side up!

This appears to be counterfeit.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4907 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

Unfortunately, your coin is a replica/counterfeit of recent Chinese origins.
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7925 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even sideways it's easy to tell its counterfeit.
Just look at the positioning of the date.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The title

1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar 15 Starts.. (assuming typo and he means stars)

Is enough to tell you it is a fake, no pictures needed.

There are 1796 dollars with 15 and 16 stars from the admission of KY and TN to the union, but they realized they couldn't keep doing that as more states joined, so in 1797 they reverted back to 13 stars and stayed that way.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
02/11/2020 2:08 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thebeat69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the sake of comparison, here are photos of a genuine 1799 Draped Bust Dollar that I own:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6775 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

You have your answer already - not authentic. Show us anything else you wish to know about - we have experts who want to help.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are thousands of these bogus "coins" out there.
If it's not in a slab, 99.44% of the time, it's because it wouldn't straight grade at any TPG worth more than a rusted old Zincoln. About 99% of that number are Chinese counterfeits like your "coin" and the other .44% are genuine coins that have been mutilated to oblivion.
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
Edited by CalzoneManiac
02/15/2020 12:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

There are 1796 dollars with 15 and 16 stars from the admission of KY and TN to the union, but they realized they couldn't keep doing that as more states joined, so in 1797 they reverted back to 13 stars and stayed that way.

Until the Gobrecht silver dollars, which have 26 stars on the reverse.
Edited by joecoin
02/15/2020 07:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But only the 1836's. And of course the Morgan dollars have 15 stars, 13 on the obv and 2 on the rev
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
must suck for OP to think they inherited such a expensive coin and its a fake. I can imagine how many people get let down when they think they inherited something rare from family
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
must suck for OP to think they inherited such a expensive coin and its a fake. I can imagine how many people get let down when they think they inherited something rare from family

It definitely does.

On the plus side, we live in the 21st century, where there are resources out there to identify these fakes.
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05