Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1729 Joao V Gold 8 Escudos (Or Dobra)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  5:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would somebody in the Coin Community be able to provide some kind of grade and value to the attached 1729 Joao V gold 8 Escudos (Dobra)? Frank

Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm Portuguese and I've never seen this coin!! Impressive!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2974 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, this coin was up for auction in October and did not sell at 6,000 AUD. So the value is less than this.

An example in similar condition sold in November at 2,000 GBP.

This might give an idea of the value...

But you have probably already done this research.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4918 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
frank wasson The 1729 Lisbon Dobra (8 Escudos or 12,800 Reis) struck in 0.917 fine gold is a scarce type, with the 1729 actually being the most available date in the brief Portuguese series. The Brazilian versions which all have mint marks above the date are in two cases more common and in two others extremely rare.

Based on my limited knowledge about the operation of the Lisbon, mint in 1729, I believe they used a diagonally milled edge planchet and the strike was done using a open sided manual screw press after the planchet was edged. Typically this method should result in a flattened dentil arc around the circumference of the coin. I was struck by the apparent elevated dentil arc on this coin. Could the coin have been mounted in jewelry of some sort creating an artificially raised rim?

I checked the Heritage Auction results and there are records of 4 sales for this type. All of the coins are in higher grades ranging from EF to MS. I would estimate the grade of the subject coin as a high VF or low EF.

The relatively few comparable sales means price is difficult to establish.

Jan 8, 2018 MS63 NGC sold for $ 26,400
Jan 4, 2010 Uncertified AU polished ex jewelry $ 4,312.50
May 30, 2008 AU55 NGC sold for $ 12,650
May 29, 2009 Uncertified EF sold for $ 6,037.50

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done some research on this coin, but didn't know it was up for auction last October here in Australia. It's being offered by Status International for a little over AU$8000. They rate it as gVF. I too was intrigued about the dentil arc being raised and contracted as it is. Frank
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2974 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frank, here is a link to recent auction results (or more accurately non-results). You'll see that the one recent sale was on a lower grade coin.
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/resu...&results=100
Edited by tdziemia
02/13/2020 4:09 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05