Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1802 Draped Bust LC - Any Ideas On Sheldon Variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  09:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BTV Digger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dug this 1802 Draped Bust LC last summer from a field site where a colonial-era home once stood. It's pretty corroded, but decent enough for a dug specimen. Any ideas on a Sheldon variety? It's clearly has a normal reverse but from there I'm not sure. Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32690 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should this be in the metal detector section? I think we need better photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16333 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
S-239 R-3
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific find, very nice-looking in spite of the environmental damage. Would likely grade "VF details, corroded" at a grading service.
I'd trust Condor101 for attribution.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BTV Digger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Should this be in the metal detector section? I think we need better photos."
John1

Thanks John. Yeah, I debated putting it there, but really was seeking a possible attribution/variety. I've gotten wonderful responses in this section before from those with far more knowledge than me, and as a novice collector (don't have Penny Whimsy yet) am eager to learn more.

"S-239 R-3"

Thanks Conder101! Looks like this variety has a die crack across the obverse in front of liberty's face. Some show a more pronounced crack and cud, others not so much. Mine seems to be the latter.

"Terrific find, very nice-looking in spite of the environmental damage. Would likely grade "VF details, corroded" at a grading service.
I'd trust Condor101 for attribution."

Thanks for the feedback Jaobler! I've dug many DB LCs over the years and collect a few on the side, but only ask for attribution if the coin is good enough to ID from my perspective. Always great to get an answer.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16333 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MOST of the 239's show the obv crack, but not all of them. To confirm the atribution, the revers has 9 berries, no inner berry right of T in CENT That is found on only two rev dies Breen rev J on 234, 235, and 236, and Breen rev K found on 239 and 240. On vev J the outer leaf point below the D in UNITED is below the right edge of the upright of the D. That doesn't match this coin so 234,5,and 6 are out. To tell 239 and 240 apart on 239 the highest wave of hair is between the right edge of the upright and the center of the R and the T is left of the junction of the hair and forehead. On 240 the hair wave is below the left foot of the R and the T is not over the hair at all. You have 239.
Gary Schmidt
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No comment on the Sheldon variety as I am a newb to large cents, but that coin is still good looking after a 200 + year dirt nap.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Conder. You beat me to it!
Knowledge is the key to collector success!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05