Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Struggling To Identify10p Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 615Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JD5777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have recently come across a coin which I have no information on, apparently neither does the internet, I i would like to raise the question on here. Could anyone please give some insight into what ive found? I know its a 10 pence coin, and I know its dated 1996, and that its of a gold color. Besides this I have nothing to offer. Apologies for poor picture quality.

Thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33629 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
02/16/2020 3:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that coin has been plated.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces879.html
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
654 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

On the reverse (tails) there appears to be a silver chip on the rim at the 5 o'clock position. Is this a chip in the plating, the electrode attachment point for plating, a photo flaw, or something else?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
375 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It would be good to post pictures of it alongside a normal 10p. It is difficult to judge otherwise how much is discolouration and how much is just lighting.
As to cause - plating is one option, but I have also seen many decimal cupro-nickel coins that have been in the soil or other corrosive environment and picked up strong brown/gold staining. I am not sure of the chemistry of this - maybe someone else knows?
Learn More...
United States
86441 Posts
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JD5777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, I cant seem to get any clearer images on my camera unfortunately as it reflects light and wont focus, but in response;

The coin is a perfect gold color, not bronze or discolored, with only minor scratches (from other coins presumably) and there is no clear indication of any "contact point" from plating, really puzzling me and I cant seem to find anything online anywhere.
Learn More...
Australia
13327 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

One relatively simple test you can do is to weigh it. Compare the weight with a normal 10p coin. If the weight is the same, then your coin is plated. If the weight is different, then there's a chance you have some kind of "wrong planchet" mint error, where a blank intended for the production of a foreign coin ended up in the 10p blank hopper.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JD5777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update:

Upon weighing the coin it is showing 7g, exactly the same as a regular 10p. Am I safe to say that it is in fact plated then?

I'm not interested in selling as I'm quite happy keeping it, but would anyone know if there is any collectability in these or any potential value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plated coins are treated as damaged coins, worth only their face value (or if they are made of precious metals, their precious metal value)
Retired collector.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JD5777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight! Appreciate all the advice and tips.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05