Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ducat 1763 - 1779 - Unknown Coin - Alvise Moncenigo - 16 Stars/5 Point ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  5:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stoystown_pa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

This coin has a similar design to a Venetian Gold Ducat but that is the closet I have come to identifying it. The coin that is similar I found in a chart identified as; ALIVSE MONCENIGO, ALOY MOCEN, 16 STARS - 5 POINT, 1763 - 1779. But it is not the same coin because this one has a motto and design that is in some aspects very dissimilar, as well as, the weight and material the coin is made from. They have about the same diameter of 22mm. The real coin is gold and weights over 3 grams. This coin is paper thin and weights 2.1g, with a similar diameter of 22mm, and it could be made of gold, or copper. I can not tell because of how thin it is.

One of the variations is the language printed on the left side of the obverse design. It has the letters of a different language that uses a different font that I can not read or identify. This font and inscription I can not find in the Venetian Gold Ducat. So is it a different country or perhaps a different denomination? The right side of the obverse is ALOY MOCEN. This is not dissimilar to the gold Ducat.

On the reverse in the round on the right is, SIT . T . XPE . DVCA .
On the reverse in the round on the left is, RECIS . ISTE . DVC

Now this coin came tied together with a silver coin, also 2.1g, but it is even thinner with a diameter of 30mm. This coin is almost impossible to recognize its design, but I am hoping these two coins go together and someone knowing this may be able to identify it even thought it is in a very used condition. Although I will save the silver coin for later. (If the coin pictured can not be identified, then the other silver coin certainly wouldn't be because of its condition.

Does any member recognize this coin?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Learn More...
United States
15421 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@stoys, I'm about 85% sure that this isn't a coin, but rather than a repro, perhaps for the jewelry trade. Here is why:

1. You should check, but from these pics it definitely looks more like copper than gold. The real deals were all gold, regardless of whether they are from the 16th or 18th Century. Here is a numista link to compare: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces21678.html
2. The letterforms are not consistent with that timeframe.
3. There is Arabic writing (perhaps degenerate) on the left side of the first image where instead it should read S M VENET.
4. The weight is far too low.
5. It is holed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3156 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mentiomn St. Mark has got a hairdo like a rock star por televangelist
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05