Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 5c T2 Buffalo Nickel #3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7445 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$19. Thoughts? Thx!

Pillar of the Community
United States
6668 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12952 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go along with MS-62 With a black eye .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any wear. MS-62 seems right
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46051 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62 seems about right. Below-average eye appeal with possible obverse ED.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8033 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
8376 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62. not sure whats going on behind the eye. could be damage
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MDS obverse, EDS reverse, typical 1913 II strike, and minimal clashing and die polishing. Nice looking rims and fields.

The surface crud isn't worrisome, but the spot on the face has two concerns. First, there may be a gouge just below the circular spot, and there is a scar just to the right of the spot. Second, the green-yellow color of the spot may suggest a chemical reaction with the copper in the alloy, which might suggest a corrosive. If this spot includes corrosion, the size and location will detail the coin. If it is only surface crud, the coin will easily straight grade. It's impossible to tell from the photos.

If the spot is just surface crud, I'm at MS-64. If the spot is deeper and shows corrosion, I'm unfortunately at UNC details.

At $19, it's a very good gamble, especially if there are return privileges. I really like the reverse on this one. Good snag!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1339 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard for me to grade this one from pictures....nice coin if there's no damage...I could see MS63
Pillar of the Community
United States
7445 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8376 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when you rotate the coin can you tell whats going on around the eye?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I played around with your new photo a bit, and brought out some of the hidden details. I changed lighting, contrast, color, and clarity. Here's the adjusted image. (@numismatic student, Is it OK for me to post this?)

Whatever is going on around the eye extends from the hairline at the temple and cheekbone to the "R" of LIBERTY, and also seems to exist to the right and bottom of the second feather. The parallel scratches on the upper braid may suggest PMD, but I can't figure out what could have caused this. Acid? But there should be discoloration in the affected areas. Abrasion? But with what?

The linear nature from the cheekbone to the "R" of LIBERTY suggests either a scratch or a lamination, but the rest doesn't fit a lamination. Another possibility might be a struck-through error, but struck through what? And why would it be found in separated places on the surface?

I'm at a loss to explain this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7445 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I examined the coin under a 7x and 10x loupe and cannit figure out what you guys are referring to as a mark from the cheekbone to R in LIBERTY. Also cannot see the horizontal marks above the braid.

Here is another picture I took ofthe obverse. I dont know if it is any better.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just had a really interesting discussion with one of my co-workers. His guess is that it might be lapping paste residue. Lapping compound is polishing grit mixed with machine oil. The grit varies from fine silicates to emery, but ground limestone has been particularly common for a couple centuries.

The areas of your coin that are affected are all recessed on the die. It would make sense if the coining press operator polished the hammer die but failed to rag out all of the paste residue from the recessed areas before resuming striking.

This might be one to run by Mike Diamond.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7445 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the continued help fortcollins!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05