Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934-35 Florin Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,526Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
10 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  04:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jason3011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

Have some coins passed down from my grandfather and father to me. Most have been sitting in a draw for the past 40-50years+.

Appreciate your help to grade

Regards

Jason

Valued Member
Australia
374 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost Uncirculated
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18710 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some extremely accurate forgeries of this coin, but the provenance of this one (along with the historic medalettes you have posted), leaves no doubt about this example being authentic.
75,000 produced and originally sold at three shillings each to raise money for the Victorian Centenary Council, in 1934-5, to pay for Centenary celebrations. Not all were sold, and 21,000 were melted, leaving 54,000, - the lowest official mintage number for any pre decimal Australian silver coin.
They saw very little circulation, and the lowest grade I have seen for these is VF.

This one EF (AU-55 Sheldon), which would be the most common grade in which they are found.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55 (Sheldon) as well.
Australia
10 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason3011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2780 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good coin and honest condition. These are worth around $300 - $500 each Australian.

Your coin is AU to Borderline Uncirculated with some original lustre.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Australia
136 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't like the look of the horse's front left leg nor its rear right leg : they both look as though they're prosthetic.

There appears to be something wrong with a few of the details on the King's crown, along with a few other niggly doubts on the reverse.

I doubt this coin is at all " kosher ".
Pillar of the Community
Australia
662 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't like the look of the horse's front left leg nor its rear right leg : they both look as though they're prosthetic.

Yeah,legs are wrong,wierd thing is they usually get this correct on most fakes.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18710 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed the legs!
That blows the provenance out of the water!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I'm not so sure ... maybe it's just the lighting that's causing that appearance? It's hard to determine without having the coin in hand. An accurate weight would assist.
Australia
10 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason3011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've weighed the coin and depending on the where its placed it comes out between 11-12g.

I'd be surprised if this was a fake as my grandfather was a bank manager during the depression and my father held on to it keeping it in a drawer for 40+ yrs. I am surprised there weren't more rarities in the collection given his occupation.

But happy for the advice

Pillar of the Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that your scales only measure to the nearest gram so not accurate enough in this case ...weight should be 11.31 grams. https://www.allcoinvalues.com/austr...n-value.html

Looking at the latest photo though your coin looks much more convincing.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18710 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does the ping tone test go, when compared to any other genuine .925 sterling silver florin?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2780 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stick by my comments of it being real. It looks like a coin from that era and the traces of gunk seal its authenticity - you can fake wear on fake coins - but not that stuff.

This is a coin that has sat idle for decades. I would be incredibly surprised if its fake.

Sadly because of the rise of odious Chinese counterfeit everything, us collectors have "alarm bark" responses at any coin that is not common as dirt coming into the hands of anyone with what sounds like a shaggy dog story to some.

The reality is, that people do inherit things and they are not always common and worthless. This poor person's grandad may have really bought the coin in 1934/35 and held on to it, until he died and it was passed on.

As for the horse legs - slight wear or just bad striking, high quality business strikes were not first order priority in the 1930s. There were no glossy catalogues and exclusive offers back then. Commemorative coins existed, but were hardly the mass media grannybait device they are now.

Like most commems and one offs of the era, it was a flop due to there being a premium on the cost (They charged 3/- for a coin worth 2/-) and this was the Depression, where few people could spare a penny let alone a bob (shilling) and then having to sell it when little Timmy got TB or something, or even if a new Joan Crawford movie was coming on!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
04/26/2020 10:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22390 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice AU-55 coin. It does not have the look of the modern Chinese fake. The toning looks original.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2780 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I own such a coin, I still think this is real, the R lines up with the bead, the horse and chest detail checks out and robe touches the rim.

That coin is better than mine too!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05