Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Italian Medal From 1602

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Virghil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! I have this medal and have been unable to identify it, I could not find another one. Any ideas?

Diameter is 62mm, weight is 49,3 grams. Thank you in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might help if you could identify the building, but that date is 1603 not 1602.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date is 1603
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3279 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say that this is a very interesting item. I have a few questions, @Virghil

1. How do you know that it is Italian?
2. What kind of a search did you do?

I would be inclined to do a google search on the inscriptions-but maybe you did that already.

A comment:

The medal may not have been made in 1603-the date might refer to the date of the founding/making of the building. However, it certainly has an old style to it.
United Kingdom
18 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The building does look the frontage of St. Peter's Basilica with its row of saints along the top edge. In this photo of the Basilica, taken in the Vatican in 2000, the upper floor does seem to be an addition so possibly added after the medal was produced. Just a suggestion.

Romania
9 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Virghil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So yeah, it's 1603, not 1602, it was a typo.
I searched on coinarchives and on google images with parts of the inscription I was able to read, but nothing. I thought it was Italian because it's similar in style to other Italian medals I had from the same period, it has SPQR written on it and the inscriptions are Latin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3279 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could not find anything by searching those inscriptions.

However, I did find this reference to the initials:

"SPQR are the initials of a Latin phrase Senatus Populusque Romanus. It means "The Roman Senate and People" or "The Senate and People of Rome". It refers to the government of the ancient Roman Republic."

maybe that will get you somewhere.
Edited by oriole
02/23/2020 7:15 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05