Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 1c Braided Hair Large Cent #5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 459Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7578 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13396 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some let side obverse field roughness but I don't see any wear on this Large Cent . MS-63RB .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
792 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 RB
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63RB.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47863 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say 62RB, but the coloring doesn't look right to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8662 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
compare this coin to several MS65RB coins graded by PCGS and this one every bit as nice and better than some MS64RB with a green bean. I think it has a good shot at MS65RB
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20072 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at all the little dimples near the protected areas, I think this one may have been whizzed. I'll grade when you post new photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7578 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't purchase this coin but it was graded MS66+RD and is currently being offered by Rick Snow for $8,500. I thought it was overgraded given the very prominent scratch in the right obverse field.

Edited by numismatic student
02/21/2020 10:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a big scratch, but having dealt with PCGS, A LOT, it depends who looked at it and when, also there is a lot of political things going on at PCGS, number of coins graded and at what level, based on population, and so on....

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I think a lot more goes into grading then the coin itself.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2209 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details may be MS66+ but that scratch is detracting.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rick Snow submitted it, so yea, overgraded.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another prime example of buy the coin, not the holder. Definitely a nice coin, but that scratch is quite noticable.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 459Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05