Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Master Club Event In Vancouver - Feb. 20

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 861Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2697 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  05:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2697 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone going?
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone going?

This is a classic example of why the RCM is just not customer focused.

I live in the Vancouver area, albeit a bit of a hike away but I could have arranged this. My problems with this:
1) I didn't get this notice ( I don't camp on mint_ca so don't know if it was advertised there)
2) I am Masters Club Platinum Prestige so presumably should have received the notice.
3) One day warning, even for those who received the notification...

This is oriented to folks who live or work downtown. Vancouver is a bear to navigate at rush hour and on Thursday, unless I am mistaken, one of the roaming protests essentially backed up the Skytrain at a major transfer point. Nobody wants to go downtown in Vancouver at rush hour unless you have a pressing need...

What happened to Saturday or Sunday all day events with a week's notice.

They even shut down the Mint store in Vancouver a couple of years ago... Unless you live in Ottawa or Winnipeg, the RCM is an online experience. This kind of outreach is destined to fail ... "Nobody showed up... / Check who was informed first"

@MoneyPenney ... did you attend? how was the turnout?
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was crowded. So many people were buying coins on the spot that it was hard to get and see the display.
I guess it is because they offered some "5 oz Maple leafs" that were sold out online as well as low-numbered
certificates for March release coins.
It seems that the most popular coins were:
- the diamond shaped $50, mintage 700
- $10 1/4 oz replica of 1670 Louis, mintage 1000
- $10 silver 350th ann. of Hudson Bay Co, mintage 10000
- special wrap coin collection, mintage 5000

Oh, and they had 10 kg gold maple leaf on display that required presence of two policemen.
Edited by mice45
02/21/2020 3:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2697 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr,

I am surprised you did not get the invite for the event since you are Platinum Prestige, the highest MC level. I met someone there who was only Silver MC.

The event was not an advertised event on mint_ca as it was an invitational event. The Mint sent out an email in Mid-January asking people to register for the event if they wished to go. They were allowed to bring a friend. The day before the event they sent a reminder and that is the one I posted.

So to recap, the Mint Event was held at the Sutton Hotel, one of the higher class hotels in Vancouver. The event was in a large room on the lobby floor. At the reception table, they gave a tag with your name already printed on it.

Then they gave you a gift bag. That made going to the event worthwhile. There was 3 gifts in it: The Numis-Tastic coin set that sells for $29.95, a glass/metal RCM logo 2 GB flash drive, and a RCM pin.

You had a choice of pop, juice, or water and waiters came around serving hors d'oeuvres.

Inside the room, there were a number of small tables showing the upcoming coins and technologies used designing the coins. For example, they show the various stages of the 2018 helmet coin before the final product.

They had some of the coins available for handling like the Kilo D-Day and 1/2 Kilo Dragon so you get a sense of how heavy they are.

An interesting new concept was a floating coin display that had a gold animal multifaceted coin on it revolving. These are the ones that seem to levitate in air using magnets.

The other main component of the event was the sale of coins. You could buy coins from last year for 15% discount. They had coins from January, February, and March on sale. The area was extremely crowded but thinned later on.

They had a 10 KG Gold coin on display. It was for sale but I don't think anyone bought it. The had two heavily armed police officers to guard it. Seems overkill with the assault rifle in hand.

The other thing of note was some reps from the Mint came all the way from Ottawa. My rep was there. He said he arrived from Ottawa on Tuesday and will leave Friday.

The Mint must have spent tons of money flying their reps and coins from Ottawa for this event. Not to mention hiring the cops and booking an expensive hotel.

I estimate there to be about 150 to 200 people attending. There was a draw for prizes and many left after that.
Edited by MoneyPenney
02/21/2020 8:58 pm
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mooincow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That event sounded nice, too bad I missed it.
I think for prestige, there was an earlier reception that started at 5pm.

What do you guys think of that March 3oz diamond shaped coin?
$1500 seems kinda pricy for 3oz silver + a tiny tiny diamond.
Edited by mooincow
02/25/2020 01:18 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 861Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05