Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940 Lincoln Wheat Cent - Oddity: Pattern On Rim

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:55 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was thinking this might have been from an encased coin, but the only place I see much of anything going on is more or less on the rim by the date. Does not look mint-made to me but not really sure what made it.

1940 Lincoln Wheat cent - oddity: pattern on rim (middle coin in edge photos)

Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, it only goes about a third of the way around the coin?
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a severe collar clash, although it doesn't look like it would be that. Very interesting.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1869 Three Cent RPD FS-302:
http://goccf.com/t/368084
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580

Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, only about a third of the way around and not much else going on. Honestly looks like the "denticles" were put there by something pushing in from the edge forming them, but they are very uniform.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46017 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beats me for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1834 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB, coin reeding normally radiates from the center of the design. The points on the anomaly of your coin seem to radiate to a point that's north of design center.
Possibly something cog like rolled around the rim of your coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43137 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much ruined a nice coin. Still a hole filler in an album.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1084 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.......Possibly something cog like rolled around the rim of your coin

Wouldn't this anomaly be on the die?

The rim seems to well-formed and consistent to be PSD. No pressure ridges that I can see on the design.
Nice curved line on the interior of the rim. No bumps or unevenness at all where the points approach the interior.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43137 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were on the dies, there would be a lot of them. I see this as a single altered coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1084 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't this a VEDS coin?
(I've been wrong before and will probably continue with that tradition , hopefully less often as time goes on.)

This anomaly may have been seen early on and the dies yanked from production (but this one escaped).
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be a coin that was punched on a foreign coin or foreign planchet? And at the same time have a collar issue? Just don't see how it could be PSD.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05