Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conserving Coins Idea

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just wondering if mixing olive oil and acetone together would be beneficial in anyway?
Thanks
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16637 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive oil is very slightly acidic.

Over time, a soak in olive oil will darken the surface of any bronze or copper coin, ancient or modern.
Used occasionally by museums (sometimes with lemon juice), to help remove encrustations from ancient coins recovered from direct soil contact ground burial.
Professional museum curator experience needed.

Never used with modern machine struck coins, unless you are looking to help gently remove verdigris from already damaged bronze or copper coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sel,but what about a mix of oil and acetone?
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1653 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
,but what about a mix of oil and acetone

I would think the acetone would negate the oil. Acetone is some nasty stuff
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John , we use Acetone to remove oil from our coins . Not to put oil on to them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking on the lines of something like WD40,cleans lubricates breaks up carosion. So mixing olive oil and acetone might do the same. Maybe I'll try a WD40 soak?
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By all means try the WD-40 soak by itself and let us know the outcome . But I really don't think it should be mixed with Acetone .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16637 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with T-Bop.
Give it a go with a no value junk coin, and post 'before and after' results.

'Restoration', 'conservation' and 'preservation' are three distinctly different terms, when it comes to coins.
Learn More...
Australia
13294 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leaving a layer of olive oil on a coin, to help preserve it, was a commonly done thing in centuries past... but back then, there were few alternatives.

A layer of olive oil has several disadvantages. It will react with bright copper, darkening it (this was not seen as a disadvantage in centuries past). Like any other biologically-derived fats, olive oil also eventually goes rancid and decays, needing to be washed off and replaced. Finally, it is somewhat "sticky" in nature, and any dust or hairs floating about will tend to stick to the coin.

Modern synthetic, refined oil products (like WD-40) lack many of these disadvantages. " Verdi-Care" is a product deliberately designed as a "WD-40 for coins", creating a protective layer on the surface without all the negative effects of olive oil. But it's still generally regarded that the best way to preserve a coin is to seal it up in air-resistant inert plastic, something like a 2x2 or a slab. Personally, I'd only recommend the Verdi-Care route for coins that were being stored in an old-fashioned coin cabinet, or for coins that are going to be placed into a medium-term or long-term public display, where a plastic case or slab is impractical.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry,no before pics. I already did the acetone soak and now have it in olive oil. It is not a special coin,1912-D LWC that I found CRHing. It has a bit of caked on crud that I would like to get rid of. It looks to be maybe a VF-XF under the crud. Verdi-Care is next to impossible to get so I kinda ignore that suggestion anymore,besides when I used it in the past it only worked ok for me. I may or maynot try the WD-40 after I see how well the olive oil works. Just experimenting a bit.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 12-D Lincoln in VF-EF is up there in price . Try not to ruin it with experiments .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'est la vie
John1
Edited by John1
02/23/2020 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3139 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As best I can tell, WD-40 is just a hydrocarbon oil. Should be completely neutral applied to coins, like mineral spirits. Probably any residual can be removed with acetone.

As mentioned by @Sap, olive oil is a monounsaturated vegetable oil. It starts out very slightly acidic, and when it goes rancid, the unsaturated groups oxidize and might make it a bit more acidic. So chemically, it is not as inert as the WD-40.

Experiments are great fun. Go for it!
Edited by tdziemia
02/23/2020 5:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13413 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32608 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dorado,bookmarked
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19167 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please remember that not all Olive Oils are the same. It is not a controlled made item where consistency is monitored. This is like the people that say use tap water. That too varies massively in different locations. Olive Oils can vary in materials by the location where grown, different Weather conditions, different fertilizers, etc. One may have high acid content and one may have very little. Those words Virgin and extra Virgin are misleading. And mixing with Acetone proves nothing. As the Acetone evaporates, this mixture will leave the oils behind.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05