Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Here With A Question About NGC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sentrek33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Relatively new to the Silver Eagle game and have a question about NGC "early releases" with the blue label. Is there some sort of knowledge base for what years were issued a "early release" blue label and how many in each grade? Same for the burnished and proof versions?
My goal is to get as many of them as possible in a early release blue label in MS-70 years 2005 and later.
As of today I just need 2005-2007 if they exist.
Or I could do all the proofs in the plain brown label maybe, I just like to be consistent were possible.. Its an OCD thing.
Just like I buy just about all my paper notes in consecutive pairs.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sentrek33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually,
Let me ask this, if it does not appear on NGC price guide as one of the varieties is it safe to assume it doesn't exist?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1216 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I'm unable to answer your q's but I'm sure o of the experts on here will be able to.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32734 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Are you sure you are collecting Silver Eagles or are you collecting labels?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sentrek33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its just my opinion, but I think the sets look a little "cleaner" if you will, when all the labels match.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32734 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree,and by your answer you collect labels. Collect what you like and don't let anyone tell you different.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4826 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As well as I can remember...NGC started Early Release with the 2006 W ASE. Before that it used First Strike on the bullion issues starting in 1987 or so

First Strike was nixed by a PCGS complaint in 2005 and ER was born
Learn More...
United States
84273 Posts
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Relatively new to the Silver Eagle game and have a question about NGC "early releases" with the blue label. Is there some sort of knowledge base for what years were issued a "early release" blue label and how many in each grade?

The NGS census will list the labels used for each issue. Click on the hierarchy icon to expand them.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/census/unit...on-coins/76/
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! I completely agree with the consistency argument as I tend to do the same. But not as much with holders as with coins in series run. The draw back to buying label specific holders is that cost increases because of a smaller market ratio comparative to other like graded coins. Not to say they are more because of the holder.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sentrek33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought my first red label today. 2006 First Strikes MS70. I missed out on a 2005, It sold for alot higher than I thought it would. I guess I didn't realize the value of that one.
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there are online competitions where people far FAR overpay for the value of a coin to compete against other collectors for the bestest overall set . . .

An America Silver Eagle is worth approximately 20 dollars, but once it is graded / slabbed that bulk common generic coin can be worth far more like towards a hundred or more dollars, this is just very VERY basic advice and I am thinking you already know this stuff.

But the holder is simply the dressing a coin wears and if those holders are very special to YOU I think you will have a hard time recovering that value at selling time.

If I was you I would collect differently , but it is your collection :) But if I was obsessed with those labels, why not email NGC themselves.

After all their job is to cater to collectors, I would point out what you have invested emotionally and the time spent in your hunting for those labels and ask for any info they might provide.

It is just the price of a polite email enquiry they might even point you to online photos that showcase your missing labels to give you more clues.

Good luck and make sure you also get that reverse proof coin :) Just a suggestion ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4826 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  08:07 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need for an email...as was already mentioned by AE$ the info on ALL the labels is already on the NGC website
Edited by Foxwoods Man
03/01/2020 08:07 am
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sentrek33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will definitely be going after the reverse proofs as soon as I am able.
And I am not "obsessed" with the labels, just trying to stay consistent if possible, if not possible then I am probably not going to sweat it too much.

And yes, I did find the price guides and census reports on the NGC website.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it would be great to have a complete set with all the same labels. Unfortunately, the 3rd party grading companies have changed everything so much over the years that it's simply not possible. Plus, many of their designations such as "Early Release" are utterly meaningless in regard to the strike quality of the coins themselves. Do 1987 early releases not exist simply because they didn't offer the service at the time?

In the end this label thing will end up costing you much more for the same coins and you won't get as good of a return if you ever decide to sell them. I'm pretty anal retentive, but am perfectly happy with my complete ASE set in airtites.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05